Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 12:35 AM

Default WSOP shuffle change

Can anyone think of a logical reason why the WSOP directors would change the way the cards are shuffled? The old rule, and I always thought this was a NV Gaming Reg, was small scramble, shuffle, box, shuffle, shuffle.

While visiting the WSOP last weekend, I chanced to see a memo addressed TO ALL DEALERS: you will be terminated if you do not follow these shuffling procedures:

NO scramble.

Take 1/4 of deck from bottom and move to top.

Shuffle 3 times.

NO Box.

Along with the appearance of many new dealers who have never dealt the WSOP before, this new procedure makes me very suspicious.

Any thoughts?

MS Sunshine
Old 05-01-2002, 08:29 AM

Default Re: WSOP shuffle change

You are talking of tournament games right? In cash games it would mean more hands per hour which would increase the rake. You would think that wouldn't be the case at the WSOP. Are they doing this in the side cash games also?

No scramble at the beginning, no box or cut before the deal would make it much easier for a mechanic fix.

I've never known you to be bashful, I'm surprised you didn't just ask. I would have gone to an authority figure or at least other reptuable (sorry never won any spelling bee's) players and asked. If no one knows or replies to the forum by the time I go, I will definitely ask.

Seems unheard of and doesn't make sense to me either.

KC50

Old 05-01-2002, 01:28 PM

When everything is over and the dust settles, and everyone has gone home, I'm going to ask Matt Savage about it.

It's the screwiest "shuffle" I've ever seen, worse even than Garden City's (where the house shuffle doesn't include a scramble but does include a box).
Old 05-01-2002, 02:28 PM

You're right KC, I have never been bashful. But I was visiting my dealer friends at the time, and it was one of them who showed me the memo. I felt it would be inappropriate of me to approach anyone at that time, as it might have gotten one or more of my friends in trouble.

Good Luck to you on your trip, both in cards and in finding out the answer to this puzzle. J has to stay home, but I will be in Vegas the weekend of Mother's Day. I'd love to meet if that coincides with your plans.

L
Old 05-02-2002, 03:19 AM

Default Re: some truths, no answers....

I will remain anonymous for the moment for obvious reasons. But many of you know who I am. It's my first time working the WSOP also. But I've been near the business since I was 13 and am over 40 now.

This is the worst shuffle I have ever seen. Matt Savage has no control over this whatsoever. I told him about it his first day here as I was more worried about it affecting his reputation in the future. Final result: he had no voice in it. I witnessed 10 days prior to the tournament where it seemed to come from. It was GEORGE FISHER. Thru some people I know I found out he was connected or associated in some ways to the old San Jose crew of mechanics that work in the 70's-80's around Garden City and the old Saratoga club. Dealers at the WSOP are in fact worried that a mechanic could be coming in to ruin the reputation of all dealers as well as fleece someone or many in the process.

This is the worst WSOP ever. Every player says it. Every dealer says it. Dealers are making $50-80 per day.

This dealer has witnessed the worst players ever. The biggest assholes anywhere. When you get in the box and David "devilfish" Ulliot harasses you for your entire down and the MGMNT doesnt care, and you make $2-$5 in your 20 minute down in a $50-$100 Pot Limit Omaha game, why should you as a dealer care what anyone does.

I personally warned friends in the game to be careful upstairs if they play big. It's very possible a cold deck could be there with this shuffle.

I was attacked numerous times by puke players in a rude fasion about my shuffle in the first week. I was harrassed for not scrambling. I went so far as kindly tell them this is all I am allowed to do. I then had to be a smart ass and tell the same players they were not worth my losing the job over which is what we have been threatened with if we dont follow the procedure. However, that said do you think I earned any more tokes? NOT!

I have fought for the players in regard to this by quietly speaking to certain persons. No result. Sorry wish I could do more.

Binions is probably not for long. Certainly the WSOP @ Binions isn't one would think. Binions no longer understands the first thing about customer service. When you no longer deliver customer satisfaction you die. nuf said.

Good luck to all 2+2ers at this years WSOP. Relish what moments you can as it may be the last. Shake hands with those employees working both the tournament and side action games whom you feel are doing the best they can with what they have to work with and thank them with a pat on the back win or lose. You will be remembered

more for that I assure you this year. Be an example of acting in a manner above reproach as we all should, no matter the results.

God Bless,

a dealer
Old 05-02-2002, 08:54 AM

I thought I might know who you are but you said this was your first WSOP, so maybe not.

From your post, your referred to side games. Is this shuffle (or lack of) used in the tourney events as well?

You state: "It was GEORGE FISHER. Thru some people I know I found out he was connected or associated in some ways to the old San Jose crew of mechanics that work in the 70's-80's around Garden City and the old Saratoga club. Dealers at the WSOP are in fact worried that a mechanic could be coming in to ruin the reputation of all dealers as well as fleece someone or many in the process"...

...this confirms the main point of my reply (above): "No scramble at the beginning, no box or cut before the deal would make it much easier for a mechanic fix".

Did you, any of the other dealers, floors or shifts actually confront management on this issue in any meetings? I would think an event of this magnitude (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Binion's management would have had a meeting with all the dealers, floors, shifts, etc...with an open discussion...and not just lay out some ground rules on a sheet of paper and say shuffle up and deal (pun intended!).

Thank you for your hands on input. However, it would make more sense to me that the players, being as upset as you say they are (and you are there!) would be the ones complaining to management, not the dealers. And I know, from being in the business, that players will take it to the highest level necessary to get answers.

So is this shuffle used in the tourney events as well?

Oh btw you opened with: "I will remain anonymous for the moment for obvious reasons. But many of you know who I am".

I would leave out the "for the moment" part and remain totally anonymous.

This whole shuffle thing is very, very strange, to say the least.

If you do know me, reply with a [img]/images/smile.gif[/img].

I'll be there next week. Maybe somehow I'll run into you. God does have his ways of bringing people together.

Thanks again,

KC50
Old 05-02-2002, 02:54 PM

There is a dealer in the house who is one of the best dealers I have ever had. He dealt to me yesterday. He scrambled EVERY HAND. I let him know how much I appreciated it by toking an extra buck per hand while he was in the box. He made some comments about mgmt and the poor new procedure as well. I suspect that since he is retired he doesn't care, hence the scrambles. His attitude was more or less "screw them, I'm doing it the right way until they stop me" Good for him.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:12 PM

> Did you, any of the other dealers, floors or

> shifts actually confront management on this

> issue in any meetings? I would think an event

> of this magnitude (please correct me if I'm

> wrong), that Binion's management would have had

> a meeting with all the dealers, floors, shifts,

> etc...with an open discussion...and not just

> lay out some ground rules on a sheet of paper

> and say shuffle up and deal (pun intended!).

You *do* know what happens when employees confront Binion's management on just about any issue, don't you? There are a lot of good, skilled, competent people who don't work for the Horseshoe any more.

I heard a lot of talk early on about this horrible shuffle; one of the first things I heard was "It makes it so *easy* to slip a cold deck into the game...."

Old 05-02-2002, 07:46 PM

You *do* know what happens when employees confront Binion's management on just about any issue, don't you?

No I didn't, but I do now.

[img]/images/frown.gif[/img]

But they can't fire the players. And there are many many there, too many IMO to overcome.

KC50
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 PM

This shuffle is to be used in all games. period. no discussion.

Did you, any of the other dealers, floors or shifts actually confront management on this issue in any meetings? I would think an event of this magnitude (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Binion's management would have had a meeting with all the dealers, floors, shifts, etc...with an open discussion...and not just lay out some ground rules on a sheet of paper and say shuffle up and deal (pun intended!).

This was brought up thru some people. Whom and how high they were I wont say. But it was of no value.

"Thank you for your hands on input. However, it would make more sense to me that the players, being as upset as you say they are (and you are there!) would be the ones complaining to management, not the dealers. And I know, from being in the business, that players will take it to the highest level necessary to get answers. "

I've heard enough to believe players have said things to no avail.