Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Freeroll w/cash rebuy question

A local card room holds a weekly freeroll tourney with a $500 guaranteed prize pool. They allow "unlimited" $20 rebuys, I assume they mean during an initial period, and add-ons for $20 or $40. And I'm assuming $20 will buy you the same amount in chips that you get for free when you enter. So my question is what should be my rebuy strategy? Never rebuy? Only add on if I'm one of the chip leaders at the end of the rebuy period? Rebuy and add on as much as possible? Let's assume that I'll be entering this tourney every week until the end of time.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Freeroll w/cash rebuy question

A couple of questions for you. Do they have ring games available after one busts out? a $500 prizepool is great but if you are investing $20, 40, 100 whatever, you want to have a good chance of winning some $ if you play. I used to play in a local one here too similar concept, I never rebought, I would just play in the live game after I busted out figuring I had a better chance to make a consistant amount of $ in a 3-6 or 6-12 than the possibility of winning a tourney with people playing crazy for the rebuy period. JMHO, I prefer ring games to tourneys and feel that my tournament skills were not as good at a live game so I used the freeroll to sharpen tournament skills for free.

tobdog
Old 07-22-2004, 01:53 AM

I believe they do have ring games available. My guess is that the freeroll is their way of promoting the club.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Without a doubt you should never rebuy or add-on when you have a healthy stack of chips, since the extra chips you get are NOT worth as much as the ones that you have. T2000 may yield you only 1.5x the prize money as T1000.

Whether you should rebuy when low or out in this free roll tournament is another matter. That will have to do with how bad the players are at your current table, how bad they are overall, and how gradual are the stakes increase letting the better players outplay the poor ones. On the other hand a fast tourney is good for $/hour rate.

You want to look at the records and figure out how much is a typical payout and how long does the tourney take.

Most of these free roll tourneys advance quickly and end abruptly and are pretty much just crap shoots; so rebuying is not a good idea.

- Louie
Old 07-23-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A local card room holds a weekly freeroll tourney with a $500 guaranteed prize pool. They allow "unlimited" $20 rebuys, I assume they mean during an initial period, and add-ons for $20 or $40. And I'm assuming $20 will buy you the same amount in chips that you get for free when you enter. So my question is what should be my rebuy strategy? Never rebuy? Only add on if I'm one of the chip leaders at the end of the rebuy period? Rebuy and add on as much as possible? Let's assume that I'll be entering this tourney every week until the end of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, never putting in a dime of your own money has infinite EV over infinite time. quite possible your $/tourney EV would be higher if you were willing to rebuy though.