Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 04:20 AM

Default Did I miss a few bets here?

Hello Again,

I am in my 10-20 game. I was wondering if you all think i missed a bet or two in this hand or if I extracted the most I could in this hand.

I am forced low with (AdAs)4c and bring it in for $3.

All fold to opponent on immediate right with 6s showing who calls.

4th

---

(AdAs)4cAh ME--

6s3c opponent

I check and opponent checks.

5th

----

(AdAs)4cAh4s ME--

6s3c5s

I check. Opponent bets $20 and I just call.

6th

-----

(AdAs)4cAh4sJd ME--

6s3c5s7c

I check. opponent bets $20. I raise to $40 and he calls.

River. I bet $20. He thinks about raising but just calls. I show my cards and he mucks.

Do you think I missed a bet somewhere?

CJ

Old 05-31-2002, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Did I miss a few bets here?

I probably would have bet on 5th street fearing the my opponent wouldn't bet for me here. Otherwise, I probably would have played the hand the same way.

When your opponent doesn't open with a steal-raise, he must really have a weak hand. Therefore, I don't think you should push the hand too hard until a later street.

Old 05-31-2002, 11:59 AM

Betting on fourth street looks natural, and that's what I'd do. Even if I had checked on fourth street, betting on fifth looks natural, and that's what I'd do. Same with sixth and seventh streets. Who knows, maybe the guy will raise you at some point and you can get three bets in on one round. It's really hard to say whether you cost yourself money, not knowing what the other guy was on, but given that his hand was good enough that he was thinking about a raise on the river, you probably did. Then again, he might have folded to a fourth street bet.

Have you ever in your life limped in when last to act before the bring-in? Me either.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:28 PM

Seems like he must have been on a low straight draw, maybe with a 2 or even 3 flush, limped and extended on 4th, then made his straight and/or perhaps a four flush on fifth, bet it on 6th and called with it on 7th. Seems like a pair of sixes would have raised on 3rd. Also, if he did have a four in the hole for his straight he'd be less afraid of your paired 4 doorcard. Given this, I think your play was probably perfect -- give him time to improve. It's likely you had the better hand and better draw on every street.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:21 PM

you may have missed at least one. on fourth street you were just the bring in. usually someone who calls the bring in on third will call on fourth. there is no reason for him to think that you have anything as a lot of players would bet here just because they caught an ace and are trying to represent aces.

pat
Old 05-31-2002, 02:36 PM

You may have lost a big bet. Heck, you probably could have even made 1.5 big bets, if you led on 4th. Based on the limping, I assume the other guy had made a small straight. Had you led on 5th, and 6th, a straight would usually raise, putting you on Aces up. By just calling the raise, you set up for a fairly definite checkraise on the river. Your checkraise on 6th broadcast a slowplayed, big hand.