Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 07:33 AM

Default I played these pretty badly yes?

MP has been pretty active, stealing quite a few pots.
No read on SB.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter

SB (t4145)
Hero (t970)
UTG (t1970)
MP (t5475)
Button (t940)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t225, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t970</font>, MP calls t670, SB folds.

Flop: (t2240) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2240) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2240

UTG has been stealing a few pots, and I tried to push him out with a raise, so I could take on the short stack alone. Bad play?
I have no idea what I was doing on the flop. Call it a brain freeze or sth.

UTG (t4395)
Hero (t2165)
Button (t1745)
SB (t4768)
BB (t427)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t277 (All-In), UTG calls t450.

Flop: (t2002) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1415</font>, UTG calls t215.

Turn: (t4832) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4832) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4832
Old 09-04-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: I played these pretty badly yes?

I'm still pretty new, but I hope to learn by posting here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hand 1: I think it depends on your read on MP. How active was he? If he raised almost any two, you would probably be ahead, but if he is a bit tighter you are probably behind. And also, can he fold to your all-in? Today I saw someone in the SB raise the BB, the BB reraises all-in. SB calls in an instant with Q8s, and beats BB's A9. When the BB asked 'why call?', he said 'Why go all-in?'. LOL

So it depends on the strength of his hands, and his ability to fold, I think. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 2: I usually don't do that with a hand as weak as AJo, unless he is really full of [censored], and if I'd do it I would raise more, because now he's still getting decent odds.
After the flop it looks like you're behind. I'd only go all-in there if I thought he was bluffing, but he probably didn't bluff. (Or DID he?)
Old 09-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Hand #1 is fine to me. You've got enough equity here that makes pushing the way to go with your puny stack.

Hand #2. Yuck. Do you really want to be tangling with big ass stack? I don't. He'd have to be raising just about every hand and not just "active" for me to do something like this.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP has been pretty active, stealing quite a few pots.
No read on SB.

SB (t4145)
Hero (t970)
UTG (t1970)
MP (t5475)
Button (t940)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t225, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t970</font>, MP calls t670, SB folds.

Flop: (t2240) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2240) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2240) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2240

[/ QUOTE ]

. . the ol' squeeze play . .mega stack MP min raises (could have a wide range) and big stack SB calls the raise (could have a slightly less wide range, but wouldn't expect him to be super strong). In concept, I like your move.

In reality, your stack just isn't big enough. MP is getting a little worse than 2:1 to call, and he has the chips to gambool with. He is not as concerned with the action of the other big stack to follow because his preflop raise was the minimum, and SB already had money in the pot when he flat called. Even if MP did decide to fold, there is still a big stack in the SB that is getting the same odds to call and doesn't have to worry about any action to follow. I think your fold equity here is pretty slim (sure would have been nice to have a few more hundred chips to start or a face card to go along with that ace).

In the heat of the game, I very well might have made the same move (don't like being in the SB next hand with &lt;6BB), but when I make the push I'm not really expecting to have them both fold.

By the way, it's helpful to know the buy in. . .and thanks for not posting the results.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG has been stealing a few pots, and I tried to push him out with a raise, so I could take on the short stack alone. Bad play?
I have no idea what I was doing on the flop. Call it a brain freeze or sth.

UTG (t4395)
Hero (t2165)
Button (t1745)
SB (t4768)
BB (t427)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t277 (All-In), UTG calls t450.

Flop: (t2002) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1415</font>, UTG calls t215.

Turn: (t4832) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4832) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4832

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sort of hand that can really make you kick yourself after it happens . . .one second you're cruising along with a reasonable stack (not huge, but not quite desparate yet), and next thing you know your taking on the big stack with a weak piece of probably the worst flop you could hope to see.

Preflop: Your reraise isn't bad, although after the big stack shows a willingness to take out the small stack, knowing that his hand will probably be shown after the small stack calls, then I am less willing to try to push him off his hand. I am less inclined to put him on a steal and I give him more credit for a having a decent hand.

Flop: I think you gotta shut it down. The ONLY hands that he might have that didn't get a piece of this flop are the low pairs. As you found out, any reasonable lead bet by you and you're pot committed. Before your bet you had ~t1400, which is still enough to put pressure on the player to your left in subsequent hands when on the bubble. UTG's giving you a free card by checking, I think you should take it.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:31 AM

I don't like the second hand because you don't need to get involved, especially with a mediocre hand against a bigger stack who has chosen to raise UTG.

The first hand could be played several ways depending on the type of players at your table, and the way you played it is one of them. I think I prefer a stop/go here as a default, but I don't think your play is bad at all, especially if you know one of the other two could fold.

Lori
Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, it's helpful to know the buy in. . .and thanks for not posting the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy in was $5+0.50. And yes, I don't like that 2nd hand at all either.