Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Help. Girlfriend has botulism.

...or so she thinks. She was at work today and noticed a container of garlic hummus with a somewhat puffy lid. Of course she tasted it to see if it was good or not. It wasn't. She only had a tiny little bit.

Everyone else tasted it too. Now she's afraid she's going to get botulism. I told her there are probably a lot of other bacteria that make the lid puffy (she says it wasn't visibly moldy, about 7 days old), and that, barring that, she only had a tiny bit. What do you guys think?

She's leaving for Puerto Rico tonight and doesn't want to get sick on the plane. I told her to go to the doctor but she doesn't have health insurance. Please tell her to stop being paranoid.

Thanks,
NT
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Help. Girlfriend has botulism.

[ QUOTE ]
stop being paranoid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...or so she thinks. She was at work today and noticed a container of garlic hummus with a somewhat puffy lid. Of course she tasted it to see if it was good or not. It wasn't. She only had a tiny little bit.

Everyone else tasted it too. Now she's afraid she's going to get botulism. I told her there are probably a lot of other bacteria that make the lid puffy (she says it wasn't visibly moldy, about 7 days old), and that, barring that, she only had a tiny bit. What do you guys think?

She's leaving for Puerto Rico tonight and doesn't want to get sick on the plane. I told her to go to the doctor but she doesn't have health insurance. Please tell her to stop being paranoid.

Thanks,
NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Having read this, it sounds like if she indeed has botulism, it will be a relaxing flight.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:14 PM

It always amazes me that there are so many people who don't have health insurance.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stop being paranoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2005, 04:16 PM

I always thought Botulism bacteria grew in anerobic conditions, like improperly canned food, and not in normally spoiled stuff. Other nasties, yes, but not botulism.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop being paranoid. Of course you have botulism so just enjoy your last few hours.

Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always thought Botulism bacteria grew in anerobic conditions, like improperly canned food, and not in normally spoiled stuff. Other nasties, yes, but not botulism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus the "puffy lid" part. (She's still being paranoid, though...)
Old 03-29-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what she thinks too.

Look, she'll be fine if you guys can just list like 7 other things that might make the container do this. Thanks. I appreciate it.

NT
Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Maybe I'm off on this, but if you really think she has botulism, I'd suggest asking a doctor for help rather than logging on to oot.