Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Expert player or Fish? And Why?

30/60 limit 10 players
BB has been at table for 90 minutes. Has won 80% of showdowns usually with nuts.Has been caught bluffing with middle pair and draws that missed.

UTG bets, UTG +2 calls, Button Raises, BB re raises, All call.4way raised pot. Flop is Ah, Jh, 9c.BB bets UTG calls ,
UTG +2 raises,Button re raises all call. Turn Ks.UTG checks, UTG +2 raises,Button calls, BB re raises, all call.
River 10d. UTG checks, UTG +2 checks, Button bets, BB raises. UTG folds, UTG +2 f olds, Button raises, BB reraises, Button folds and shows Ac10s. BB shows 5h6h. Expert or Fish?And why?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Expert player or Fish? And Why?

The only fish I see here is the button, horrible play on EVERY street.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 PM

It should be obvious that anything other than folding is absurd for the BB preflop; neither capping as he did nor calling has any merit because fold equity in 3bet or capped multiway pots is very low and its hard to imagine a range of hands for which he is getting a good price to play his small suited connectors.
His flop play seems fine.
Why he goes for the bluff on the turn is completely beyond me. It seems overwhelmingly likely that with AKJ on the board after the pot is capped preflop that someone has a hand they can't fold.
Why he follows through with his bluff on the river is equally hard to explain. There are still three other players in when he makes his first raise and its almost inconceivable that the button is going to fold to the cap. I think he got very lucky that the button 3bet rather than called the river c/r and then folded. Out of curiosity, does button have a history of play this bad? That would be relevant information for the hand.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:10 PM

collusion?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Part Poker 30/60. I was observer. To me (a beginner) i thought it took brass ones to bluff with that board to the river. But i guess he was represent a Q for the str8. I think buuton tried to bluff the Q and folded when he got re raised.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30/60 limit 10 players
BB has been at table for 90 minutes. Has won 80% of showdowns usually with nuts.Has been caught bluffing with middle pair and draws that missed.

UTG bets, UTG +2 calls, Button Raises, BB re raises, All call.4way raised pot. Flop is Ah, Jh, 9c.BB bets UTG calls ,
UTG +2 raises,Button re raises all call. Turn Ks.UTG checks, UTG +2 raises,Button calls, BB re raises, all call.
River 10d. UTG checks, UTG +2 checks, Button bets, BB raises. UTG folds, UTG +2 f olds, Button raises, BB reraises, Button folds and shows Ac10s. BB shows 5h6h. Expert or Fish?And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

His play is fairly horrible. The only bet I like is his second reraise on the river. At that point, the pot is massive and there is no way to win it except by bluffing, but he should never have been so heavily involved in the first place. The only thing worse is the button folding aces up for a fourth bet on the river when the pot has close to 30 BB's in it and the player in question has been caught bluffing with weak hands and missed draws before. If the button was going to fold to a 4-bet on the river, I am not sure why he 3-bet it instead of just calling the first raise. In conclusion, the BB is a fish, but the button is the record-breaking catch of the week. It's almost as if they are competing to see who can make more bad plays.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only fish I see here is the button, horrible play on EVERY street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:23 PM

IMO, expert players try to get their money in when they have the best chance to win the pot. Usually, this is by having the best cards, but it can also be by choosing situations where they have position and/or the right mix of players to make a move for the pot at some point during the hand. The expert player knows where his edge is and and how to exploit it.

In limit hold 'em, making expensive, marginal moves with marginal holdings into a large field when you are out of position is not expert play, it's idiocy. And while I would agree that the BB's fancy footwork proves that the he can think on his feet, I don't think this is a style you want to emulate. Trying to run a bluff through a large field with a swollen pot at stake is usually a quick way to the rail.

It is very, very hard to win a large pot in limit hold em with a pure bluff. Small and medium pots are pots you can bluff at, but large pots almost always have callers.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part Poker 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean Party Poker I call bullsht. How did button fold and show his hand? Is this some new option I don't know about?

-Pete
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Part Poker 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean Party Poker I call bullsht. How did button fold and show his hand? Is this some new option I don't know about?

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. Nice.