Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Where Can I Find A One-Deck Dealer Shoe?

I've seen plenty of 4-deck, 6-deck and higher shoes, but no single-deck shoes.

I run a home game of up to 16 players. Previous events with a suspected bottom dealer forced me to implement not only a cut card, but also a requirement that the deck remain on the table while you deal (it's a pain in the ass, but I have seen a bottom deal even with a cut card used, there's a video clip online)

So anyway, I figured a one-deck dealer shoe wouldn't be as cumbersome moving around the table as the 4-deck one, but I don't know where to find a single-deck shoe, anyone have any links?
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Where Can I Find A One-Deck Dealer Shoe?

Make one?
doc
Old 12-20-2004, 01:59 PM

I still don't understand this- do you let your dealers shuffle their own cards?

It IS possible to deal seconds from a shoe- you know that, right?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]

It IS possible to deal seconds from a shoe- you know that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The deal passes around the table from player to player. We play NL Texas Hold Em and 7-stud tournaments.

We had a guy who was new to our game and two times when he dealt he caught quads (one was where I was dealt 7/7 and he was dealt 6/6 and the flop was 5/6/7 and the turn gave him his fourth 6)

He was suspected of bottom dealing and after I changed the rules to incorporate a cut-card and require the deck remain on the table while dealing he emailed me the same day to be removed from the RSVP list for our December event because "something came up".

But needless to say I don't want to take any chances and want to keep the game as secure from any cheating as possible. But I also don't want to make the rules so stringent that it sucks and becomes less enjoyable.

It's a real pain in the ass to deal with the deck on the table, and I figured the incorporation of a dealer shoe would help to alleviate that (we'd still shuffle the decks and have the cut card used on each deal)

So there's a way to [censored] us over with a dealer shoe too? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The deal passes around the table from player to player. We play NL Texas Hold Em and 7-stud tournaments."

Who shuffles? Solve your problems by not letting the dealer touch the card deck until it is shuffled and passed to him. The dealer then cuts and deals the deck.
We use two decks and skip over the current dealer when passing the deck as well.

As I said before, I personally like to cut into 3-4 piles and remove the bottom and top card problem.

If you wanted to be really secure (as much as you can):

Player A____ ___New dealer___ ___Current dealer___ ___Player B

Player B shuffles, Player A cuts, New dealer deals on their turn. If A and B are good enough to work together and get C to deal what they want, more power to them.

"It's a real pain in the ass to deal with the deck on the table, and I figured the incorporation of a dealer shoe would help to alleviate that (we'd still shuffle the decks and have the cut card used on each deal)"
I knew it would be a PITA- adding a shoe will just slow down the game without adding that much security IMO.

"So there's a way to [censored] us over with a dealer shoe too? " Of course.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:41 PM

Just get a 6 deck shoe and 12 decks (or more depending on # of people... 8x2+5+3+2 xtra for errors = 26... could load up a 6-shoe for 12 games!... for 6 folks you could get 15 games!) and shuffle/load the thing up and deal out the games. Take awhile to load up but the games would go quick! Cracks me up thinking about but it'd work I guess.

Seems like if the stakes are high enough for this to be of great concern or those involved to be of questionable character you could get folks to chip in for dedicated dealer. The other problem I have with your scenario is if I had to worry about that it'd suck all the fun right out of the game... I think I'd look for another group.

Anyway... I saw this pictured and although probably not a 1-deck shoe... it does look small enough that it could be a 2-decker and you could call to see if they have or know of a 1-deck supplier... though you could also use a 4-deck shoe paertially loaded and still pre-shuffle decks to switch out.

Here's the link: Dealing shoes & gaming supplies

Another for a 2-Deck in the UK... maybe they have a US source

ahh , looks like 2-deckers are fairly plentiful here in the US...
2-deck in Las Vegas

2-Deck on obnoxious snow flakes web page

Also you could see if a local woodworking chop would make you one if you couldn't do it your self... though if it were me I'd look for another remedy.

- Fins
Old 12-20-2004, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just get a 6 deck shoe and 12 decks (or more depending on # of people... 8x2+5+3+2 xtra for errors = 26... could load up a 6-shoe for 12 games!... for 6 folks you could get 15 games!) and shuffle/load the thing up and deal out the games. Take awhile to load up but the games would go quick! Cracks me up thinking about but it'd work I guess.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Fins,

Am I missing something here? 5 of a kind for everyone!

J5
Old 12-20-2004, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the responses and links everyone. I used to run just $20 events (although there were rebuys, unlimited for the first two hours, so I had seen people drop close to 100 bucks in rebuys during some of the events)

We also used to only have 4-6 players on a regular basis. Now I accomodate up to 16 players on two tables and I've been winding up with a waiting list because my events are so popular.

And I've switched it up due to demand. I have $20 buy-in events (which feature a $10 add-on that's optional now, no more rebuys) and also $50 and even had a $100 buy-in event.

With larger prize pools and playing fields, I feel as host it's essential I do everything I can to keep the cheats out, and if they do come to an event, make it as difficult as possible (while maintaining the entertainment factor) for them to ply their trade.

A dedicated dealer for two tables would be too expensive given our prize pools I feel. It would be cool to have it, but I don't think it's for my events.

And I obviously want to be able to play in the events with as little worry and distraction about cheats as possible.

The guy in question who came to my event that started me down this path stated his name was "Bob Smith" when he was a large hispanic fellow. He was pretty cocky in his emails, and also always trying to get me to come out and play in a larger city that's about 40 minutes away from me.

So anyway, early in the tournament he wound up rebuying 2-3 times from what I recall. He was playing extremely poor poker, calling all-ins when the board had something like Q/J/2 and he held K/3 (no flush draws) and he'd say "oh, I had a drawing hand". I think he was playing this way to set us up later, after the rebuy period was over, because then he started catching cards from what I heard (I don't know the hands in question, because he wiped me out fairly quickly when I caught top set and he caught his miracle one-outer on the very next card.

The f'ing prick also giggled like a friggin' little schoolgirl when he caught the card. AND he had a pretty nasty attitude towards my attempts at correcting his misteps during the tournament (i.e. I tend to try and run a tight ship and prevent pot splashing, string bets, etc) and he'd get testy with me whenever I tried to correct him.

It also didn't help that he dropped on me at the last minute the knowledge that he was packing a gun because he doesn't leave home without it.

And then the jackass went and started showing it off to everyone during the event, which really upset my players, half our field of players for the event were new people too.

I had turned to the internet to find new players, since all my friends tend to be broke, unreliable, etc. and I like to keep the games as full as possible so I can improve my skills and have decent prize pools.

I'd say that easily 95% of the people I've found from the internet have been awesome. Respectful of my home, my rules, etc. But unfortuantely you're going to find a few bad seeds. This particular guy wound up winning the event, and then after I changed my rules he withdrew from an upcoming event because he probably knew we were onto him. And he probably carries the gun around because he knows the risk he runs by doing what he does.

You'd think, coming into a brand new home game, he'd want to take a dive and just test to see how easy it is to cheat, so he could wait for one of the larger buy-in events and make his money then. But he couldn't resist the prize pool on the $20 event I guess, so he wound up missing out on the $100 event we just had. I'm glad we only lost to him that one time instead of having him rip us off on additional events, or god forbid shoot someone.

So yeah, maybe I'm overreacting, but there are plenty of people out there willing to screw you over. I'd like them to find an easier place to do it at.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 PM

you can get them at target.com
Old 12-20-2004, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can get them at target.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like all they've got are multiple-deck dealing shoes there, thanks anyway though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]