Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2004, 01:34 AM

Default QTs against a Taggish opponent and a lousy one

Table is average 1/2 party table. Maybe a bit tighter than normal. The player to my right is terrible, the player to my left seems decent so far.

I get Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in late-early-early-middle position-ish.

Bad UTG limps, I limp, Taggish raises. Folded to UTG, we both call. 3 to the flop for 7 small bets (-.5 SB rake included).

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Check, I bet, Taggish raises, UTG cold calls, I call ( <font color="red">What do you do here?</font>)

Turn (6 BB-ish) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Check, check, Bet, call, call.

River (9-ish BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

Check, check, Bet, fold - I think blahblah blah I have to win 10-ish percent of the time and Call.

I think I know what I would do differently next time around. But I'd like thoughts please.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: QTs against a Taggish opponent and a lousy one

Bump!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:53 AM

Re-raise the flop.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:58 AM

I have trouble in these situations too. I don't know if I should
1.) 3-bet the flop, if capped, check/fold the turn unimproved. If not capped, I will have to bet out on the turn.
or
2.) Call the flop and bet out on the turn and fold to a turn raise.
Both ways cost me 1 BB if I have to release.

Since the raiser is a TAG, I will go with 1.) since he maybe trying to protect his overcards.
If the raiser is more passive, then I will pick 2.). Please comment on my thinking here.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:17 AM

I like this hand.

If the villain is truly a TAG (as in 2+2 style) then here is my thinking and how I play the hand. I’m assuming TAG is in CO or CO-1.

What would he raise with?

AA—99
AKs-A9s
AK-AT
KQs-KTs
KQ
QJs

Give or take a hand or two.

The board is T 9 5 monotone.

What hands would he raise the flop with?

Definites…

AA-99
ATs,A9s
AT
KTs
QJs

No so definites…

AKs, AK

Out of those hands which hands are you ahead of?

A9s, QJs, AKs, AK

On the turn it comes..J
Looking at all this I would have called the flop raise, lead the turn and call a raise. I call the flop raise because you have room for improvement and I lead the turn to pressure the villain in case he is just trying to make a “free card/semi-bluff” raise with a hand like AK or A9s.

I also think a strong argument can be made for just letting it go after villain makes the flop raise. I’m sure others will totally disagree with that and whip out the weak-tight words but I just think against a thinking player that that flop isn’t good for you.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:30 AM

I think the flop is fine. Bet into him on the turn when you pick up the OESD to see how he reacts. Call a raise but fold the river unimproved. If he calls the turn, lead the river, fold to a raise.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought when I reviewed the hand. If he caps, I'm folding the turn UI.