Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Best line for JJ ...too much value betting?

All of these are betting with the intention of folding to a raise....right?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
Old 04-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Best line for JJ ...too much value betting?

I like it all the way until the river.

There, I'd consider check-calling. (If he's on a broken flush or straight draw, he'll fold to your bet, but he may bluff at it if you check to him. Further, the 2nd king can't be anymore of a scare card to him than the 1st one on the flop - and he hasn't folded yet, right?)

Then again, betting may be better for the amount of times he's simply calling down with a smaller pocket pair.

Close decision either way, but I lean towards check-calling because that way you *can't* be bluffed out of the pot (as you would in the 'bet/fold' line).

Adam
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM

There's really no value in betting in that river. I'd check and hope for a free showdown, but I'm calling a bet.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Further, the 2nd king can't be anymore of a scare card to him than the 1st one on the flop - and he hasn't folded yet, right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point. Sometimes I just keep betting hoping that the second king will scare him away from QT or something - which your point addresses.

This decision would also help with reads - some players are more prone to call down with medium pocket pairs and you obviously want to bet against them. Without a read though, I check/call this as many players standards for cold calling 2 bets preflop include either a king or a queen.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM

yeah i dont like value betting that river, that K in my opinion would make it more likely for a Q to call. I'de be afraid of a Q when he called flop and turn. So im almost inclined to check fold that river in hope of a free showdown. But i think check/calling is good too.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:33 PM

I just have visions of a weak-tight player sitting back and letting you beat your own brains out against his AK, AQ, KQ, or Kx here. What do you do when the river is raised? If your answer is "fold," then you've REALLY got no business betting it yourself.

Starting from the flop, I think you're basically dead in the water unless Button is very loose.

(Great...now *I'm* seeing monsters under the bed. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] )
Old 04-14-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's really no value in betting in that river. I'd check and hope for a free showdown, but I'm calling a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why jt is eminently [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]able