Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 01:49 PM

Default New to online poker questions

I am sure this is a frequenty asked question so if there is a history on this point me in the right direction.

I am going to start internet poker soon and am curious as to peoples opinions on which site to use and whether I should start at a low limit or not.

I have been beating the local 10-20 holdem game consistently for about 2 years now.

So should I start at low limts maybe 3-6 or could I just jump into a 10-20 or 15-30 game.

I have heard that for limit play Party poker is pretty good so I geuss I will try that.

Thanks for any info on the Subject.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: New to online poker questions

I would go with party since it is still the largest, and you can always switch sites later...I would start at a low limit, less risk involved for you since you are new to internet poker, that will give you time to adjust to the differences of interpet poker vs. live poker while you are building your bankroll

Hope this helps...might want to try posting in the internet forum too.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:03 PM

Party/Empire seem to be the consensus choice for a place to start (for all intents & purposes, they're the same thing). If you're winning at 10-20 B&M, I'd suggest having a look-see at something in the range of 1/2 to 3/6 or even .5/1 to get a feel for it and work your way up.

For sure, there are two things you must do:
1) Don't sign up with a poker room just out of the blue - get yourself an affiliate. I'm currently getting something like 18% of my rake back every month (it adds up). You may be able to do better.

2) Get PokerTracker (pokertracker.com). There's a free 1000-hand trial and you'll quickly learn that it's very much worth the price ($55) to register.

If you need any more info on either of these, check out the Zoo (Internet forum) and the Books/Software forum and probably the Beginners forum. This stuff has all been covered quite a bit, so you should be able to get all your answers from here.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:16 PM

I would start at 2/4 or 3/6 on Party if you're beating your local 10/20 game. Make sure you have a good bankroll (300 big bets) and have fun.