Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-10-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Stallone-First Blood Special Edition DVD Review

Since John Cole now watches some of the movies everyone likes, I'd like to hear his opinion and others on this movie. But, settle for my opinion first.

I think this is the best Stallone movie made. The special edition presents the movie in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This is a major improvement from the VHS and TV broadcast versions. The DVD includes the documentary Drawing FIrst Blood: Creating John Rambo. For fans of this movie it was interesting to find out that Kirk Douglas was originally cast for John Rambo.

Anyway, it is a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's an action and survival movie. Highly recommended in the new DVD format.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-10-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Stallone-First Blood Special Edition DVD Review

"Best Stallone movie" is like saying "best episode of Barney."

Awful is awful no matter how you package it. A man unable to act is no more or less unable from one film to the next...
Old 01-10-2003, 06:58 PM

I couldnt have said it better myself Irish. Stallones main acting tool is to grunt or look pissed off all the time. This guy is almost as big a stiff as Steven Seagal.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM

It must have been those horrible writing and acting skills which caused Rocky to win Best Picture.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Now, Now, Fellas...

I agree that Stallone's 'career'[giggle] since First Blood has been a complete joke, aside from his competent job in Copland. However, we can't let that blind us to how we felt, er, 27[!] years ago.

Rocky 1 was a legitmately great movie and Sly more than held his own with a heavyweight cast. Hell, even Joe Spinell & Carl Weathers tore it up. First Blood is vastly entertaining & well done, for what it was. Brian Dennehey=always genius.

In neither movie did Sly chew scenery[much], although he had ample opportunity & power to do so. Of course, the last twenty years have been a complete horror & disgrace that no one could've or did predict. You might have seen that he just officially reached straight to video status.

But remember the reviews of Copland: "He's not that bad", "Gee, he CAN act, a little", etc. Can't really blame him for getting consumed by ego & going for the easy jack; could happen to anybody. Wonder what film critics might be saying about him, had he bought the farm right after FB came out. Dying's always a good career move.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:33 PM

Your position is that winning "Best Picture" conclusively demonstrates great writing and acting? lol
Old 01-10-2003, 11:54 PM

Hey, it worked for Mel Gibson! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2003, 08:50 PM

IrishHand,

In this movie I think his acting was great! This was an action movie, so physical attributes are more important. This is just one of those movies to be enjoyed for the action. It does not require thought to understand it. Even though this particular one was the best action film that he had done, and the plot was actually very good compared to the sequels. Do you think any other hollywood actor could have played the part much better?

Good Luck

Mark
Old 01-11-2003, 08:57 PM

mark, forget about these movie guru's. first blood was a great movie for watching and even coming away with something about the narrow minded world we live in. this and rocky were good movies that only sly could pull off. sure he aint no great actor but he did entertain the masses.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 PM

I think the acting was awful, as his acting always is. The fact that he's ripped and looks like Rambo should look (or Rocky) is great - but when it's backed up by noticeably mediocre acting, that detracts from my enjoyment of the movie.

Of course, I'm in 100% agreement with Ray's perspective. Neither Rambo nor Rocky was made to be a "good" movie the way critics look at them. They were both made to entertain, to give the average movie-going American something to cheer and pump his fist in the air about - and I totally agree with that theory of movie-making. I'm all about being entertained, and walking out of the theater feeling good. Of course, that doesn't mean they're good movies. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]