Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 11:29 AM

Default 66 in MP

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Easy river value bet?

My reason for the river check (planning on check/call)
I put the button on a flush draw, combined with the fact that he was aggressive I figured I could have either induced a bluff from a weaker hand, or only lost one bet to a made flush....

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.66 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.83 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

River: (11.83 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 11.83 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 shows Ah 8d (one pair, eights).
Hero shows 6s 6c (three of a kind, sixes).
Button shows 9h Ac (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.83 BB. </font>
Old 05-13-2004, 11:51 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 66 in MP

call the flop, raise the turn, bet the river, not even close.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:56 PM

betting the river *may* not be close. But I disagree on calling the flop - That is at least debateable. if you disagree, at least double check the hands that actually called that raise.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:07 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

so they'll call 1 bet with worse hands, and possibly call a raise on the turn. you get the most money in with the best of it.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:13 PM

With an aggro button, I think you can safely eliminate him from having a flush draw as I am sure he would have pumped this flop. You should bet the river.

As for calling the flop or raising the flop, I think you should mix that play up, either one is fine.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:17 PM

your sure he would pump this flop? It would mean everyone between him and me would have to call two cold, a raise and he fears losing "customers" -

I'm relatively aggressive an I cold call on this flop in this situation as well...
Old 05-13-2004, 01:31 PM

I'm not a fan of putting my opponent on exactly one hand and checking the river just because a scary card hits. But here it's at least close.

If the button is on a flush draw, you get raised if you bet and lose MP2 many times. You lose 1 more bet 100% of the time by betting.

If the button has a pair and planned on calling down, you either miss 2 bets since both he and MP2 will probably call or if you check he bets it for you and the results are the same.

If the button had t9, qt, (or a9o!), he might bet it for you and you gain 1 bet from him. If he doesn't you lose 1 bet from MP2 by checking.

Lastly, it's not just the button to worry about, MP2 could easily have a flush draw here. Him going for a check-raise on the end is not at all unusual.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM

I would have bet the river. I think that aggressive Party 15/30 players would have 3-bet that flop with the flush draw, not just to pump the pot, but hoping for a free turn.

On the flop, I think you should just smooth call. One reason is that you aren't going to get any good draws to fold to your raise and waiting till the turn charges them double. But, he may just fold a hand that's drawing completely dead against you, but do you really want that? Also, if you smooth call, you give him a chance to raise the flop, giving you the chance to 3-bet.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM

thanks for the replys. Everyone makes a good case for betting the river, and I think I will certainly make that play in the future - I reserve the right to make the play I did based on my conviction in my read though...

calling the flop and raising the turn I still have to think about... If there is a flush draw out there, I think letting them see the turn for only one bet is certainly a mistake, but combined with the deception and other "chasers" equity in the pot, getting (potentially) a raise in on the turn might be worth it. However, there is also nothing that says the flop bettor would check the turn, however I know the tendency is to check to the pre-flop raiser...

tx again for all the thoughtful replies.
stox.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:09 PM

people with flush draws will usually call 2 bets on the turn, even if the board pairs