Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Take the good with the bad....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.16 BB, between MP2 and Hero.</font>

Should I have mixed in a raise or re-raise somewhere, or is this line of action ok?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Take the good with the bad....

I dont like it, you played your set much too passively - he could have a piece of the flop a K or a Q with maybe a J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Either reraise the flop or raise the turn.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:31 PM

I would have 3 bet the flop and if he caps then I would call down.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:33 PM

Should I have mixed in a raise or re-raise somewhere, or is this line of action ok?

Yes, at least one more raise would be better.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:17 PM

With no read it's hard to say.

He c/r which tells me he has a pretty strong hand, but doing it here is kind of odd (feels kind of like a steal attempt).

You have position, so a 3-bet will get you some information, but unless you think he's on a steal (reading your bet as a real estate bet), you'll probably go into call down mode anyway.

If he calls and checks the turn, you have to bet the turn, because you don't want to give him a free look at the river and, of course, this risks another c/r which you really don't want. If he caps and bets the turn it starts looking like a flush or bigger set.

Given the situation, I like the way you played it. Based on the way you phrased your question, I'm guessing you won the pot. My guess is that he was on a nut flush draw or had top 2 pr. or thought he could buy it from you when it got down to heads up.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:26 PM

I think I'd be tempted to raise the river and (although I'm sure I'll get flamed for this) fold to a 3-bet.

You need to consider the likelihood that your opponent is betting a hand that is worse than yours, but good enough to call (you can probably assume that he'll call with any pair). That likelood must be greater than the likelihood that he's betting with a made flush or larger set (assume he will not fold a set) in order for the raise to be correct.

As for folding to a reraise, at Party 3/6, I think only the nut flush would 3-bet this river. And even if that's wrong, a worse hand will not 3-bet this river more than 1 in 15 times, and you're only getting a slightly over 11 to 1 to call the 3-bet.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Take the good with the bad..../Resutls and replies

As Lets Rock suggested I did win the pot. He had the nut flush draw with my other three attached to it. I felt like a total skirt after not raising at some point during the hand.

As slogger suggests the likelihood of a pair, flush draw, two pair, is probably greater than a made flush and needs to be played as such. After all, he might be protecting what he feels is the best hand at the time.
However, the idea of raising the river and then folding to a re-raise sounds really painful, especially playing against an unknown and I disagree. It is good that you outlined your logic though, does anyone here go for this play?

Regards,
~J
Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM

While I rarely make this play, I would have called the checkraise on the flop and then raised a non-club turn.
But if I didn't think to do that I would have just 3-bet the flop. Neither can be that bad.