Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 10:32 PM

Default mike l., expert hand reader

20-40 good game. this kid on my direct right is brand new to 20-40, he usually plays 8-16. 4 limpers including him and i just call two chips in the sb w/ KQo. bb checks.

the flop is JJ4 rainbow. checked around pretty convincingly.

the turn is T. i bet, folded around to the button and he stalls a short second and then raises and i can tell, i just know with every fiber of my poker being that he has exactly Q9 and that i will checkraise him on the river and earn the most that way. then why not 3 bet him right now mike? because then if he makes his hand i lose 3 bets instead of two.

so i have it all planned out.

the river is some card i dont really look at it i just see that it doesnt make my straight. i check, he bets, ah ha
i got you you little punk! RAISE! he pauses a second and says "i just call" and flips over Q9. huh?

"i made a straight on ya" he says. "guess you had the jack?" i finally really look at the river card and see that it's an 8.

"yeah you caught me.", i say, "nice catch man".

Old 05-03-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Great post!

My stupidest-things-I've-ever-done-at-the-poker-table list trumps this one, believe it or not. And I will not be goaded to posting about them.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: mike l., expert hand reader

Mike what the hell are you talking about in this post? What is the point of check-raising the river if you know he has has Q9? To get a call out of Q high?? Why not just check-call the river? Also, the way to make the most money here is to 3-bet the turn and then check the river if you know he has Q9. Do you want to edit your post or something? this makes no sense
Old 05-03-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Great post!

How is this a great post? What is great about it? What exactly is the point of the river check-raise?
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM

I loved the irony. mike knew exactly what he had but had a disconnect from point A to point B.

If I knew the guy had exactly Q-9 I'd check-raise so that I didn't have to show my cards when he folded to the raise.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:13 AM

My stupidest-things-I've-ever-done-at-the-poker-table list trumps this one, believe it or not. And I will not be goaded to posting about them.

I seem to recall you posting one this year in a response to a Josh W post. I will have to do some research now.

I vaguely remember the post. I want to say that your Ace high would have won, but you misread the board. Please correct me if I have miscontrued any information.

Like how I politley attempted to goad you [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2004, 12:15 AM

How is this a great post? What is great about it? What exactly is the point of the river check-raise?

Because Mike made a great read and a great play. He encountered one problem, he failed to read the board to see that the 8 gave his opponent who held the Q9 a straight.

I give him a lot of credit for posting this hand.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:56 AM

No, mike's play in this hand is hideous. I am not impressed by the Q9 read because even if it was right this time, it's likely to be wrong 90%+ of the other times.

But the main problem is that mike l, butchered the "open hand" problem.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Re: mike l., expert hand reader

"Why not just check-call the river?"

because what if im wrong and he has the same KQ or A high or something?

btw the main point of the post was to relay a funny incident where i made an ass of myself, not to argue over whether i shouldve 3 bet the turn or check-called the river or whatever. in other words the post was definitely not for a sad egomaniacal mike l.-hating cretin like JV.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:37 AM

I think Andy failed to call an extra $5 to an all-in player on the river in a $1M dollar pot with his K high which would have beat a Q high. Or something like that...