Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2004, 07:50 PM

Default TPTK, but raised on the turn...Pay it off???

Should I have done anything differently here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.75 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (8.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Ad (one pair, jacks).
MP3 shows 7c 8c (two pair, eights and sevens).
Outcome: MP3 wins 8.75 BB. </font>
Old 04-03-2004, 08:15 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: TPTK, but raised on the turn...Pay it off???

why the stop and go? I assume you're planning to fold to a raise on the river. I'd rather check and induce a bluff here on the river. a turn bet usually implies a bluff or a strong hand. you want a bluff to pay you off so check the river. a better hand will call or raise you, but if he was raising a spade draw on the turn, he'll fold here. if you check the river, a busted spade draw will be more inclined to bet to try and get you to fold.

I generally raise UTG with AJo here. you will get called with some disgustingly weak hands, so you will win far more than your fair share of times, plus any crappy suited cards or weak pairs will have their implied odds hurt by your raise.

I play 1-2 about half the time I play, so if you PM me your Party name, I will sit at a table with you and maybe I can give you some suggestions. I'm still learning too, but maybe I'll be able to notice an obvious (this is more a response to your post about you struggling) leak or something.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:37 PM

well for startes you dont have TPTK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] IF you don't have a read on the guy I prolly pay him off. Most likely you're going to get shown 2 pair or a set or something like this.
I think your river bet here is very bad. Ask your self what you are trying to accomplish with it. Is it going to make a better hand fold? No. Is it going to make a bluff call you? No. Your just leaving yourself open to a raise or folding out a bluff. Either way its -EV. Check call, you save cash when you are beat and if he was bluffing hes going to bet.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:28 AM

Default Wrong Forum...belongs in microlimits [n/m]

Old 04-04-2004, 01:15 AM

well for startes you dont have TPTK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

No? Which hand is TPTK on a J748 board?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:17 AM

Yes, you should usually pay this off. You'll often have 8 outs on the turn when you get raised (as you did here) but more importantly you'll be surprised how often you'll win that showdown unimproved in these games.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well for startes you dont have TPTK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

No? Which hand is TPTK on a J748 board?

[/ QUOTE ]

pfffft, so I cant read [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was uhm....doing lots of stuff at once or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]