Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2002, 04:43 AM

Default AQo UTG

3-6

i'm UTG and raise with AQo, folded to LP who cold calls, BB calls. 3 to the flop. 14$ in pot after rake.

flop [Qh 8d 3c]

the BB bets into me, i raise, now LP 3 bets, BB calls, i call. 41$ in pot.

turn [2d]

BB checks, i bet, and now LP raises again, BB cold-calls. i fold.

river is a blank. BB check-calls LP's river bet.

comments?

results and my thoughts to follow.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:51 AM

Default Re: AQo UTG

I question your raise on the flop. When the BB bets he will frequently have a very strong hand and thus is looking to make it three bets or a very weak hand and is hoping that there is no queen out. If either one of these situations is the case, your flop raise is wrong.
Old 04-09-2002, 04:55 AM

Default -Results- no peeking ; )

LP had KQo, BB had Q10s. we all had Q's and i folded the winner.

thoughts:

i was nearly 100% sure BB would not bet into me on the flop without a Q. my raise on the flop is routine with top kicker.

when LP 3bets i have no idea what to put him on, theres no draws and its unlikely he flopped two pair, it is also unlikely that he has the 4th Q. at that point i was thinking set of 8's or 3's.

when i bet into him on the turn when a blank hits and he raises again, i was "sure" he had a set and i folded.

that stung.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:02 AM

mason,

the worst thing is that if i'd called the flop like you suggest, and played slightly more passively there then maybe check-raised the turn, i'd have definitely shown down and won.

instead i got outplayed by LP who i put on a hand when he reraised me on the flop.

live and learn.

thanks for responding.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:04 AM

Default Re: -Results- no peeking ; )

apparently my flop raise is not as routine as i thought.

i hate when i get outplayed.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:11 AM

Default I disagree

I think the flop raise is best.

Many players in 3-6 (or 4-8) games would bet top pair here without giving much thought that Pollux might raise them with a better hand.

If they can beat AQ, they will probably check-raise either the flop or turn.

If they have nothing, they won't bet.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:33 AM

I am not sure that I would raise with AQ UTG in most games (AQs maybe, but would highly depend on the current type of game) -- assuming there are at least 8 or 9 other players yet to play, I may have just checked it, or even mucked it...there is just too much of a chance of a reraise after etc, and AQ just isn't worth that in my opinion. In middle position, I would think about raising it if no one else had called the blind, but again, this depends on the game. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:10 PM

MrGrob,

I have to disagree with that. At these limits I find A-Q to be a winner. These guys will call raises with K-Q, Q-J, and even Q-T. I have learned the hard way that in no-limit A-Q can be a big loser, but in low stakes limit games it is a overall winner.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:19 PM

Default im with dynasty

if the guy had an overpair or a set, he'd be likely to c/r here i think. id be more concerned with the player raising behind me. especially since BB didnt 3 bet. id put him on a Q but not AQ necessarily...

the LP is the one who may have ya beat. but id try to cut the field with a raise on the flop. unless your talking about calling the flop, then raising the turn. that i could see on this board.

b
Old 04-09-2002, 12:23 PM

Default Re: -Results- no peeking ; )

live and learn...we've all done it. if the board was safe, id have called it down, and maybe paid off more, but ya hafta put him on something.

another thing to look at...your call closes the betting...so there's no fear of a raise behind you, which makes it easier to call down...

b