Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Pocket pair late in tourney.

Party 20+2 NL tourney. We are all in the money, but the real money is at the final table. 8 Handed Blinds 1000/2000. My stack is T22930 which is about average. I am in late middle position 1 before the cutoff with Tc Th. Folded to me and I raise to T6000. CO folds and button raises all in to T12793 SB reraises to T16198 Big blind and chipleader folds. Almost 37,000 in pot and it's just over T10k back to me. What is the play here?

I'll post results in a separate post.

Thanks,

Fitz
Old 02-06-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Pocket pair late in tourney.

Somewhat player dependant here, but assuming the button and small blind are reasonable, this is a fold. The button MAY be raising with a big ace or a slightly smaller pair or even KQ or KJ, but the small blind almost HAS to have a real hand here.

Your probably a 4.5 to 1 dog and you still have enough chips to play with. Fold and live to fight another hand.

Peace

Goodie
Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 PM

I would look to fold TT here against 2 all-in's, I would guess they probably have an AK and a pair similar to yours between them, if its smaller you are a little worse than 50/50, but if either of them hold a bigger pair you are in so much trouble. I cant tell u the math, im sure someone will. If u call and lose u have 6000T which is going to leave u needing help from the dealer, however, with 16000T u still have plenty of play left in your stack, even at 1000/2000.

True, if you push here and win you will have a good stack, but I think it's probably more important to survive, especially one of the cutoff.

I'm interested to see how it panned out though

bshanksj [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM

If it were just the first raiser, definite call but the small blind all-in shows strength so I'd probably fold..
Old 02-06-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Results.

I couldn't justify the call either, so I folded. My two opponets showed down AKo and AQo respectively. The board finished jack high, and my 10's would have held up. With this pot, I would have had a very good shot at the final table. As it was, a little later, I busted out 19th for about a $175 payday.

Thanks for the responses,

Fitz