Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2001, 01:39 PM

Default AJo Hand for Comments

I open raise AJo 2 off button, button & SB call. Flop is AJ7 rainbow. I bet they call. Turn makes AJ77 rainbow. I check, button bets, SB folds, I raise. River makes AJ779. I bet and get called and I'm good.

My thoughts on the turn were that I didn't want to get check-raised by SB the likely place if any where I was beat and who I think has been laying in wait for me. I also thought the button would bet any A and possibly a J. I was prepared to fold if the SB check-raised the button.

Is this good play or is my thinking poor?
Old 10-01-2001, 12:19 AM

Default Re: AJo Hand for Comments

I don't like risking the free card. Just bet it yourself and if the small blind check-raises you muck if he's straight-forward or call it down if he's tricky. I don't believe in giving away a free card because you're scared that one of the two remaining 7's is in his hand. Sure you lose some extra when you get check-raised and have to call it down, but you cost yourself more by not picking up the extra BB(s) on the turn when you have the best hand.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:01 AM

Default Re: AJo Hand for Comments

Of all the hands the button or blind could have to call, one with one of the two remaining 7s is remote. Your order of thinking should be how to get the opponents to invest the most in this pot (like you did when you considered whether button would bet), and worrying about a 7 be a distant consern.

There is a little more than 4bb out there. The most likely hand drawing to beat you is a gut shot with 4 outs and 11:1 against. Therefore giving away a free card costs about 4/11ths of a bet. That's not alot when compared to most of 2 extra bets you earn when you successfully check-raise. And checking looks natural since you could easily be stealing, and a bright button is likley to bet LOTS of marginal hands hoping to win it outright.

Check-raise looks very sound to me.

- Louie