Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Sailing with The Captain

It's 10/20 at Foxwoods this past weekend, but it doesn't feel like 10/20 because the Captain is at the table. You see, The Captain plays every hand and he raise or 3-bets or caps every hand regardless of his cards both preflop and on the flop. He never folds on the turn (usually raises) and occaisionally folds on the river.

I'm in the Big Blind and pick up A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Solid UTG folds, Donators in the next 2 seats limp, and the Captain raises one MP cold caller, solid player in c/o cold calls, SB folds and I make it 3-bets (the Captains raise means he has 2 cards and the players behind him know that), limpers call the raises, Captain caps (of course), everyone else calls. 6 to the flop for 4 sb each.

Flop: Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I may well be ahead here, but check to see what happens. Donator 1 bets, D2 calls, Captain raises (what else) MP cold calls, c/o cold calls, I again make it 3 bets, D1 calls the raise, D2 folds, Catain caps (yawn), we all call. 5 to the turn for 22 bb (factoring in the rake)

Turn Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] (Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] )

Now I really think I'm ahead (see how The Captain makes you think?) I bet, D1 calls, the Captain (you know what's coming) raises, MP calls 2, c/o folds, I call and D1 calls.

4 to the river for 30 bb.

River T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] (Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img])

I'll admit, that one scared me. I check D1 bets, Captain folds (!!??! - he must have had 63o), MP calls, and I call.

You tell me what was shown down. Results later.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Results

Donator 1 shows A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , MP shows A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] and I take down the monster pot.

For the next 3 hours, the Captain tore through the table like a tornado through a trailer park. His earn by the time he left the table was well over 100 BB/hour. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Sailing with The Captain

This guy was unreal, he had a mountain of red chips,over $2,000 by my count, when I came to visit/watch.

He pulled down 2 huge pots showing down a winner, and then won a couple more when no one else could take the heat.

Kurn later told me that he left with 4 full racks even after giving back about $700 while he was racking up his chips.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:50 AM

half of one of those racks was green
Old 01-05-2004, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Results

Does the captain play there regularly, and does he play 20/40 now?

I think I played with this guy sitting directly to the left of me for a couple hours over the weekend. He was an old guy who capped with anything from top set to unsuited undercards. He made the whole table crazy, it was a thing of beauty.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:02 AM

Why does MP take the pot? Regarding the board, he had only two pair queens and tens and you had queen and jacks.

Additionally I don't think you can fold for one bet at the river with more than 30BB in the pot, if you have any kind of hand.

To close my answer I don't think AJoff is good enough for a three-bet in your position. Even if the captain is in the game. Consider, also maniacs get good cards once a while. It's just one of those crazy loose wild games where you should tighten up and play like a rock.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:14 AM

Kurn,

Oh how the captain can change the table dynamic.

That guys loves to fire them in with both hand.

You need to get cowboy in that game so you have two certified maniacs.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:15 AM

Why does MP take the pot? Regarding the board, he had only two pair queens and tens and you had queen and jacks.

MP didnt take the pot, Kurn did.

Consider, also maniacs get good cards once a while. It's just one of those crazy loose wild games where you should tighten up and play like a rock.

This player knows one speed. FAST. I have seen the captain raise every hand in a row. A raise from his usually means, NOTHING.... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh how the captain can change the table dynamic

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you describe that guy? I wonder if I know him.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to get cowboy in that game

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It sure is great playing with him. Not because he's a total maniac fish (because he's not really), but because of all the excitement he brings. Sometimes I sit in a really tight, boring Foxwoods game (ok, not too often lately) and think, "if we just replaced that guy with Cowboy, this game would be a million times better"
Old 01-05-2004, 10:53 AM

Solid UTG folds, Donators in the next 2 seats limp, and the Captain raises one MP cold caller, solid player in c/o cold calls, SB folds and I make it 3-bets (the Captains raise means he has 2 cards and the players behind him know that), limpers call the raises, Captain caps (of course), everyone else calls. 6 to the flop for 4 sb each.

This player knows one speed. FAST. I have seen the captain raise every hand in a row. A raise from his usually means, NOTHING....

Hi MG,

thats not the point. you have other players in the hand as well. sure if you're heads up with the Cap then you're play is 100% correct.

BUT, you have a MP player and a solid player in the CO both calling 2 cold. Also remember there are two others, you called "Donators" in the hand as well.

Even without the raise in front of you, raising that many players with AJo is not a solid play. Add in that its costing you two bets and you make it 3, I don't this this is a +EV play.

Glad you pulled it down, but don't ignore the rest of the table when there's a maniac present.

-Scott