Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Routine? Still in the back of head, for a week.

10/20 Foxwoods last weekend.

Real good game, lots of limping in EP by predictable postflop players, and a typical old-man call station who plays too many hands and only raises preflop w/JJ+ and post-flop with the nuts. I'm carrying a strong image as I'm having a Ulysses-like-session and have yet to show down a loser; doubling my buy in in 3-hours.

JT is in the SB w/Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4 limpers to me and I raise, BB folds, all the limpers call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet all fold to the old-man and he calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, (now this is where I feel I made a mistake, I think I would have been more comfortable on the river if I checked, I dunno, guess it's why I posted it. I've seen the old-man lay down on scary boards, but he is a true-blue call station.)

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, the old man bets, I fold.

Sue me, Praise me, just please get this f-n hand out of my head, thanks in advance.

Peace,
JT
Old 12-05-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Routine? Still in the back of head, for a week.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm carrying a strong image as I'm having a Ulysses-like-session and have yet to show down a loser

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice work. I highly recommend this strategy.

Anyway, here's my rule at the end. Right before folding, I ask myself "Self, if I fold this one, will it be in my head for a week?" If the answer i "Yes" I call. EV-SchmeeVee.

But, yeah, he probably had you. Would he value bet TT at the end? Would he take one off on the flop then fire out a river bluff w/ JT? Most guys of the sort you describe don't bluff very much and don't value bet enough, but of course, one never knows.

And, yeah, why not check(-call) the turn against this guy? You're not really worried about giving a free card here.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice work. I highly recommend this strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to be a good one and I'm happy you've taught it by example, thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, here's my rule at the end. Right before folding, I ask myself "Self, if I fold this one, will it be in my head for a week?" If the answer i "Yes" I call. EV-SchmeeVee.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then, I hear, "You stupid a$$ he's only going to bet on the river with a hand that beats you, now this will haunt you for a week."

[ QUOTE ]
Would he value bet TT at the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

70/30, no.

[ QUOTE ]
Would he take one off on the flop then fire out a river bluff w/ JT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely would take one off the flop and turn if one was a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but the bluff, not sure.

He was a peach of a guy who would show most of his hands when heads up after someone folded to his bet/raise. This time, even though I'm personable enough to get most soft-players to show their hands, he didn't. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
And, yeah, why not check(-call) the turn against this guy? You're not really worried about giving a free card here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have felt a lot more comfortable with my river action if I did. In fact, I bet and self said, "That was stupid, what are you going to do when he calls and you miss?"

Thanks Uly,
JT
Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 PM

I don't understand the point of check calling the turn here at all. What it is that going to accomplish? So you can check call the river? Against a TOM here your best play is probably to check fold the turn. However at the tables this is what I would normally do, either:

Convince myself he has a gutshot, bet the turn, get called, and then check fold the river and feel dumb. - 80% of the time.

Check fold the turn and feel smart. - 15% of the time.

Bet the turn, get called, and then check the river, convince myself the TOM is doing his annual bluff, and call and feel really dumb when he shows me ace x or worse, king x. - 5% of the time.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check fold the turn and feel smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

vehn, you understand that I was drawing to the nut-flush? You wouldn't see the river here? Surely if the TOM had A3 he would have raised and AK before the flop.

I'm confused and can't see the reason I wouldn't see the river in this big pot.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 PM

errr nevermind. I did the old cntrl-A, cntrl-C, cntrl-V action (since supposedly I'm being paid to do something other than read the web) which doesn't pick up the card symbols and forgot to glance at them. Anyways in this situation I like check calling the turn and check folding the river most of the time, but would maybe call the river bet some times for image purposes and because of showing weakness on the turn. And such.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since supposedly I'm being paid to do something other than read the web

[/ QUOTE ]

I love my job too.

Peace,
JT
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't be haunted by this hand. You had pocket queens and the board had aces and kings on it. Happens all the time. You raised pre-flop and you bet the flop and you bet the turn and he was still there. His hand sure screams weak ace.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:42 PM

What could he have called pre-flop with, then again on the flop, that didn't beat you on the turn? But instead of just the old man beating you, now you've been beating on yourself for an extra week about it. Give it up on the turn.

al
Old 12-05-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Poutine? Still in the back of colon, for a year.

Or longer. I'll let the medical experts elaborate.