Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Sklansky\'s hand rankings

In Hold 'em Poker, and HePFAP Sklansky gives the top 8 groups of 2 card hand rankings. He makes clear, however, that the list is for low stakes limit Hold 'em. He states that the list would be significantly different for No Limit.

Has he ever published the same list for no limit, or an explanation of the card play or mathematics that makes it different?

I am currently using the list as a learning tool. It would be very helpful to have a no limit list.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s hand rankings

He makes clear, however, that the list is for low stakes limit Hold 'em.

Not entirely true. It is for limit hold'em, true. But the hand rankings are the same regardless of whether you're playing low or middle-limits. He constantly discusses adjustments based upon game texture.

The book itself it written from the perpsective of maximizing your earn at middle limits (defined as 20/40 up through 80/160). Above that, the game begins to behave more like big-bet poker. Limits below middle are addressed in part by the "play in loose games" section.

If you want a basic primer for NL hand rankings, search for any source of hot & cold ranking of hands.

In general, what makes NL different is a combination of fewer multiway pots, fewer hands that get played through the river, and the ability to manipulate pot odds.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM

Drop all drawing hands for the most part. Big cards are better, small pairs are good for getting in cheap, but things 87s would not be.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 PM

87s is a fine hand for sneaking in cheaply in a NL game with deep stacks, but position is extremely important if you choose to do so.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop all drawing hands for the most part. Big cards are better, small pairs are good for getting in cheap, but things 87s would not be.

[/ QUOTE ]

"This is the hand i am looking for when I play No Limit Hold'em. Small connecting cards (suited) - the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. that's the kind of hand I want. It's my favorite. And when I get it...I want my opponent to have two Aces or two Kings and to believe (as I don't)that he should play them slow.If he holds that oppinion he'll give me the opportunityto get a turn. and if I do...I can break him"

This is another opinion on the small suited connectors in No Limit Hold'em. It is the first paragraph in Doyle Brunson's "How to play small connecting cards before the flop"-chapter in Super System.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:52 PM

Maybe its my style of play then, as when i have a big hand and choose to slowplay it, I usually get all-in on the flop. I'm no NL expert though so take all advice with a grain of salt.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:00 PM

That's an interesting strategy, and certainly one I have seen used with great success.

But I could have sworn, Doyle advocates smoothcalling and slowplaying with AA, KK. So there may be a bit of a contradiction there.

On the other hand, there is no reason to believe that any top active player is being 100% honest about his playing style when he publishes such a book. There is no guarantee that any top player's style is entirely consistent and predictable. And it is entirely possible that after a player publishes such a book he changes his style intentionally or possibly includes some slight misinformation or inaccuracy on purpose.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks Squiffy. "no reason to believe that any top active player is being 100% honest about his playing style when he publishes such a book.."
I have really enjoyed watching the world poker tour with the hands shown. I try to watch the folds closer than the winners. With the amount of money on the table, you really get to see how top players play a particular hand even if you don't get to listen in on their brains calculating why they played it that way.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:22 PM

upgrade all pairs and suited aces, and downgrade big offsuit cards.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:53 PM

Thanx. Roughly what i've been doing. I may not be downgrading high offsuit cards enough. What about my inclination to pay 1BB but not 2, to see a flop with Axo? Then fold if NO A, Ax, or xx?