Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Limon\'s Essays

S & M's essays have some good info but they're so damn boring I can barely make it through one. I can't bitch though if I dont offer an alternative. So here is my first attmpt at a poker essay which doesn't make you want to quit poker. I've kept massive playing records over the years and most of them are in anecdotal form. If anyone likes it I'll post more.

DARK GLASSES

I am a big fan of dark glasses. I wear gold frame Dunhill’s with the gradient tint circa 1978. Besides looking stylish they help create an intimidating persona. Over many hours of play I found flop bluffs were more successful with glasses as opposed to without. Glasses also let you observe players without them knowing it. This comes in handy when someone beside you exposes their hole cards, you can peek without being caught. Glasses can also be used as a prop.

Once at the Bike I was playing $1-2 no limit and got in a hand with this know it all biker dude. He had a sweet mullet braided into a pony tail and after every hand he would claim he knew what people were holding. He and I got into a hand where 2 players limped and I raised to $13 on the button w/KJ suited. I figured this would get me heads up with the biker who was in the big blind, and it did. The flop was AJJ he checked I bet $25 he called, I’m putting him on an Ace. As I bet he groaned saying I bet every flop (which was true). Turn was a 10 he checked I bet $50 he called quickly chirping “I call”. I put him solidly on AQ or AK, he showed none of the deliberate play or indecision associated with a monster like AJ. His new found gutshot made the call easier. River was a 4. He checked I announced in squeaky voice “a hunnerd” and tossed in 1 white chip I had sitting behind my stack, I tossed it weakly in the bikers direction. Now the biker began to think, lookin’ at his cards smiling looking at me, I needed a call here. So I took my glasses off and put them on top of my head and sat back. He called. I showed, he mucked and then said, “it was worth the $100 cause I have a tell on you now. For $50 I’ll tell you what it is.” I declined and he said I would regret it. I couldn’t wait for a chance to bet a big bluff at him and use the glasses off trick, but it never came up. Hopefully I’ll see him again someday and he’ll get a chance to read that tell.

Note about the play of the above hand. If I have AJ suited on the button in that situation I probably DON’T raise before the flop. I want players with lower flush draws coming in with me so I can break them. I also don’t want to risk the chance of getting limp re-raised and having to lay down a hand that is drawing to the nuts. If KJ gets raised it’s an easy fold with no regrets. In big bet I almost never limp in with flush draws that aren’t to the nuts, only if I see a weak player who’s deep getting ready to raise behind me.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:47 PM

Default more, please! (nm)

Old 10-09-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Limon\'s Essays

Very nice.

I've got a question on the sentence, "In big bet I almost never limp in with flush draws that aren’t to the nuts, only if I see a weak player who’s deep getting ready to raise behind me." What do you do in the case?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:15 PM

Much better than and S&M essay. Keep 'em coming.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 PM

Default implied odds

sometimes weak players give raise tells. like literally grabbing the amount of chips they're going to raise before the action comes to them. like i said i will never limp with a hand that isnt drawing to the nuts. i either pump it or dump it. i want 2 chances to win and if called i want the power on the flop. i will however call a raise from a "leaky" player with a hand that might break them. a leaky player is someone who will back an overpair with their whole stack, this is the most common mistake in big bet poker today. Hey! i have an essay on this...coming soon.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:18 AM

Default Re: implied odds

I'd be interested to read the leaky player essay. It could also be called "a muppet's guide on how not to go broke with big pairs" ...?

i think i've got them sussed at this stage, what i would love to see is an essay that gives tips on how to play AKo when the board misses or you have TPTK and the board is semi scary.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 10-10-2003, 06:19 AM

A great read - please keep 'em coming.

Old 10-10-2003, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sometimes weak players give raise tells. like literally grabbing the amount of chips they're going to raise before the action comes to them

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes, that just means want you to think they will bet so you can check it to them and they check behind.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 AM

You're the man limon...keep it coming.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:42 PM

yeah thats why is said sometimes. and sometimes they grab chips because they are doing a mini weight lifting exercise and sometimes they grab chips because they like the pretty colors and sometimes blah blah blah...dont be a friggin nit.