Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Good fold or bad fold?

What do think of this fold in this situation?
3rd street:
Me-->84 4 (Bring in)
Tight player-->xx T (call)
Average player--> xx 6 (call)
Dead cards=57859 suits dont matter

4th street:
Me-->84 44(check)(raise)(fold)
Tight player--> xx T3(check)(reraise)
Average player--> xx 6K(bet big bet)(fold)

now i caught some heat for some people for folding here
i would like to know what anyone thinks of a fold in this situation? if it is a bad play, what is the best course of action?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Good fold or bad fold?

this is a bad fold without question. why cant the reraiser have aces?? many players will play aces that way and a tight player will often wait until fifth to raise if he is rolled up. i would reraise again.

one thing you have to keep in mind is that when you are the bring in there is no reason for your opponents to think you have a pair. you have three random cards as far as they know.

Pat
Old 08-09-2003, 06:42 PM

First of all, suits do matter since your two opponents limped in--they could be playing 3 flushes.

I think that's about as incorrect a fold as there is. Try to think what the 4th street raiser could have had:

1) Aces or Kings and limped as a slow play.

2) A hidden pair of 3's and a T kicker, and hit a third 3.

3) A 3 flush and caught a 4th flush card.

4) Rolled up tens.

You were the bring in, so when you hit your door card, it wasn't as much of a threat versus someone who had voluntarily entered the pot with a call or a raise. In addition, some people will raise a paired door card on 4th street in order to figure out where they stand: if the paired door card calls, that's an indication they might have trips, although two pair is likely too.

I think calling would have been fine. Why give him anymore info about your hand? If the raiser was a tight player, a re-raise might have caused him to fold, and then your only customer would have been gone. And, obviously you didn't feel you were ahead because you actually folded, so calling instead of raising would have suited your temperament at that time.

If the raiser had been an agressive player and not too tight, I would have raised him back, and if he had re-raised me, then I would have called, and checked and called all the way to 7th street.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:40 AM

i think this is a bad fold. even though i'm a big advocate of laying down your hand when you're surely beaten, i don't think you're surely beaten in this situation. it's certainly possible the guy has trip threes or a big pocket pair, or he's just fooling around like a lot of players i know will do. even if you are facing rolled tens, you are over 20% to win. you definitely have at least a call here.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:59 PM

my thinking was, in this case, is that the player had rolled tens. i thought when i checked on 4th street and then he checked that he would have bet if he had aces or another pocket pair. i dont think he had it in him for a check-reraise bluff. looking baak i think it was a bad play for me to fold. i think i should have called the hand down to 7th street because he might of had tens and threes.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:02 PM

to address the suited question. neither opponent was 2-suited on the turn.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think i should have called the hand down to 7th street because he might of had tens and threes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that holding is so unlikely that I didn't even list it in the possible hands he could have had on 4th street. For him to have that hand, he would have started with 3T/T and checked looking at this board:

4(you)
3T/T(I'm assuming he is in the worst postion where everyone else is yet to act behind him.)
K

and I would consider that a raising hand. Of course, if in your judgement he was a tight-passive player(which doesn't seem to fit with his check raise), then that certainly was a possibility.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:54 PM

I would probably either re-raise now or check-raise another street. There is no way in hell I'd lay this down. Why can't the other guy have trip Treys, two pair, or even less? If he has trip Tens, you can still suck out.

And if you do lay down big hands like this, for cryin' out loud don't tell people about it. They won't give you any action, and they're liable to run you over.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:49 PM

yes! that was part of my reasoning.
if he had T3 T he would have raised to protect his hand and even if he didnt he would have bet it on 4th street.

as for pocket aces the same holds true, he would have raised 3rd street or bet out on 4th to protect the hand.

the check reraise here has to be trips or a total bluff which is highly unlikely.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:54 PM

well, when i turned the hand up. from then on every time i got a hand they played back at me trying to run me over so i picked up value from the rest of my hands and the weaker players feared me more which opened the door for semi bluffs and free card plays for me. it was a 10-20 game and i walked away up $450 in 5 1/2 hours.