Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 10:59 AM

Default [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frow

Console me, I am near tears to find out that my favorite politician... isn't.

Sure, I was disappointed when Jon Kasich left, and Susan Molinari, and so on.

But nobody can replace Julius Caesar Watts - the best... [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img]

Now I know how all those saps at the mall will feel when Julia Roberts dies.

JC Watts for president. He is the best, at least since Ronald Reagan. [img]/images/frown.gif[/img]

eLROY
Old 07-01-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Re: [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/f

My two favorite Ronald Reagan stories:

1) When I first moved to California in 1966, Reagan was running for governor. On election day, he took forever in the polling booth. When he came out, the reporters asked him what took him so long. He said he was reading the ballot propositions.

Now I was 13 years old at the time, and it struck me as odd that he had been running for governor and hand't yet read the propositions. Of course, no reporter asked a follow-up question.

2) When he was elected President, Reagan was invited by Tip O'Neil to tour O'Neil's house. After an extensive tour, they arrived at Tip's office and he told Reagan that the desk he was looking at was his pride and joy, having originally belonged to Grover Cleveland.

Reagan remarked that this was quite a coincidence, as he had played Grover Cleveland in the movies. O'Neil politely reminder Reagan that he had played Grover Cleveland Alexander, not Grover Cleveland.

Sorry, but Reagan was dumb before he was sick.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:13 PM

Default dumb enough to deregulate energy prices *NM*

Old 07-01-2002, 12:14 PM

Default dumb enough not ot fear the USSR *NM*

Old 07-01-2002, 12:15 PM

Default dumn enough to simplify the tax code *NM*

Old 07-01-2002, 12:15 PM

Default dumb as a hick colored boy from Oklahoma *NM*

Old 07-01-2002, 12:43 PM

Default Re: dumb enough not ot fear the USSR

The USSR was defeated by the massive military spending of the United States beginning with the Truman Doctrine, coupled with their own inefficient economic system. Ronald Reagan had nothing to do with this. In fact, throughout his public career, his was a harsh critic of our Cold War policies, precisely those policies that resulted in "victory."

Reagan simply assumed that the USSR was behind everything he didn't like in the world without bothering to check facts. At one of his first press conferences, he talked about what had happeened in Vietnam. Every sentence in his comments was false. He justified our interference in Nacaragua by calling it a "totalitarian dungeon." This was a Big Lie as defined by Orwell.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:47 PM

Default Re: dumn enough to simplify the tax code

Yeah, the tax code sure is simple now.

Reagan believed he could lower taxes and increase defense spending while balancing the budget. He based this on the picture drawn on a napkin by Arnold Laffer, the famous Laffer curve. The results, of course, were the biggest deficits in our history and billions of dollars worth of debt.

Reagan was always against high taxes ever since he became Lew Wasserman's first client to make $1 million a year. He paid Wasserman back for his excellent representation when he was the head of the Screen Actors Guild by giving MCA a blanket waiver to become a producer at the same time they were agents. This gave MCA almost unlimited power in the entertainment industry as they could produce a show and hire their own actors. Quite a coincidence that Wasserman was Reagan's agent.

When Reagan testified before a grand jury about this, he said he couldn't remember. Sound familiar?
Old 07-01-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Re: a funny al gore story

this story is similar to the ones you mentioned:

while on a tour of monticello, al came across two busts. a throng of reporters were present. he asked a monitcello tour guide who the busts were. who were they: thomas jefferson and george washington.

Pat
Old 07-01-2002, 01:54 PM

Default Re: [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/f

news reports say that he was frustrated with Republican leadership. Dick Armey and co. did not let him have much of a say in republican decision making and, despite Watt's seniority, he wasn't going any further in the Republican house. Now you can say its racism or its purging of the Newt Gingrich faction. maybe both. I dunno.

whoops. did I bring that subject up again?