Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Tilting and Fish

Some background before the question:

At the Borgata, built my $200 stack to about $380 at 1/2 nl. Everyone bought in short for some reason and the big stack was about $450 with the rest around $150 and below. I am playing well and stealing small pots here and there from the absolute worst players. Then I go on a streak of getting outdrawn (AA vs. 44, AK vs. AQ, KK vs. K9 (it was sooted). Anyway I don't lose my whole stack somehow at this point and am down to about 150 (all in with the AA and AK preflop fed the fish). I am getting really frustrated but I am able to keep cool even after people make comments like "You overplayed your aces you should always see a flop before going all in." I know that my game is not at 100% but I know I can take the money back from these fish. Is it correct to stay and play on slight tilt?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Tilting and Fish

Short answer: it depends on what you mean by "slight tilt", and how -EV that condition is.

But my gut is, you're probably tilting worse than you think you are, so walk away and come back in a few hours. If there's a long wait (I'm guessing there was at the Borg) see if you can take a meal break and get reseated, or come back to play a few hands every half-hour.

Also don't forget there's a Psychology forum.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:19 AM

I would definitely take a break and go to NOW, then come back like 45 minutes to an hour later and instead of thinking about getting your money back, you'll be thinking how delicious that meal was and the rest will work itself out.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Trust me. I'm the friggin' tilt-master SUPREME. But I learned a while ago, and I still follow the procedure nearly religiously, to QUIT when I go on tilt. IMMEDIATELY. TRUST ME. It's not worth it, you're NOT going to be playing your best, or even your second best game if you're on tilt. There's always another game, another time.

There are techniques you can use to keep from tilting. Learn about them, practice them, get into the "zen" of it all, whatever. I have worked on this stuff too, and it helps. But I still quit if I go on tilt, no matter how good the game is.

al
Old 12-05-2005, 03:09 PM

Tilting in no limit is bad bad news. If you're playing limit, I say suck it up and stay.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tilting in no limit is bad bad news. If you're playing limit, I say suck it up and stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you're a no-limit player.

Play every hand on tilt in a limit game and you can burn through a hell of a lot of money in a very short time period.

Playing 20-40 this weekend a guy at my table took a beat with aces in a small pot $120 or so. So due to being pissed about losing his $60 in that pot he proceded to blow through about $800 in the next half hour or so.