Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Default small pairs short handed

I was heavily criticized for this play by all three people at the table, so I'll take another opinion here.

We are at a 15+1 SNG at poker starrs, we are in something like level 5, 50, 100 blinds. Five people are left and the chip leader is sitting out. I have approximately 3500 chips . I am raised in the BB by the utg player who has 500 chips, everyone else has folded.

People have routinely been stealing blinds with any A and any two face cards. I have pocket threes so I call. The board was TT5. The raiser bets as expected and I reraise, putting him all in. He had JJ and I sucked out the boat, but I make this play every time. At this stage and that flop, I am in good shape, only losing to a big pair, a lucky catch or another 5.

So the question is, should I have reraised him preflop, which would not have put him all in. As far as post flop, is reraising the right play. Calling is pointless, and I really don't see folding as the right play either.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: small pairs short handed

If he only has 500 chips and 50/100 blinds you should have no problem getting allin with him and pocket 33 in the BB.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:04 PM

correct me if im wrong but i think this is almost always a auto call. your in the bb only going to cost you a little more to call. only thing im concerned with ( would have to have been playing with the playert) is that 500 chips with the blinds that big should be a auto all in. the fact that he raised small shows he didnt mind action. hmmm any thoughts??
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 PM

I forgot to mention it was a limit tourney. The big question here is do you reraise or just call and look at the board before deciding what to do.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:53 PM

wuth the blinds as high as they are i dont know if it matters, hes going to bet at the flop no matter what comes out becuase: A: amount of chips he has in pot and how much he have if he folded (nothing) And B) he cant check and let you see a free card. not a very scary board if he didnt have a pair your good. i think he plays AK, AQ, AJ, KQ the same way so i think you still did a good move. nice job getting lucky on the suckout too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 09:08 PM

dont worry about what other people says, anytime you raise even off a dry pot you are increasing your chances of winning the hand