Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2003, 01:40 PM

Default OK, here\'s the train wreck against majorkong

Since this was a big pot between two 2+2ers and I made a couple of debatable decisions, it might be interesting to talk about. It was a lot of fun for majorkong, and a train wreck for me.

Once again, the game is 4/8 with $1 and $2 blinds at Mandalay Bay. This is a kill hand though, so it costs $3 to limp then we play 6/12. We're playing with all $1 chips. The game is very loose and fairly passive. I'm on the button and majorkong is in the SB.

2 or 3 players limp, CO limps, I limp with 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] (I don't think I've ever said that before). Majorkong completes his SB and the BB checks. A bunch of us see the flop.

Flop: K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Majorkong bets and everyone folds to the CO who calls. I call? I think I just forgot to raise, mostly because I forgot what my cards were and I was busy telling a story.

Turn: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] ] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Suddenly I remember my cards, after looking at them. That majorkong is too smart for me though and he checks. CO checks and I bet. majorkong calls and the CO calls.

River: [K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Majorkong bets, CO folds, I raise and majorkong 3-bets. I make a crying call and lose to his nut flush. I don't think I've ever put 36 chips in on the river and lost, or won. It would have been a lot more fun if I had won. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: OK, here\'s the train wreck against majorkong

This is indeed a train wreck. But it all happened because the conductor (you) fell asleep at the proverbial wheel (premium hands only). You know better!

Good luck, play hard.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM

I agree that I played the hand poorly, but I don't think the preflop limp was a mistake. I think any suited hand is playable from the button after a few limpers for 1/4 of a big bet.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:33 PM

You're probably right. Or even if you're not, I'll defer to your judgment on this b/c I have no experience with a game of that blind structure. That game seems confusing to me.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:04 PM

I would have folded preflop.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:48 PM

This may be the danger of the blind structure at Mandalay Bay. It makes limping with suited crap waaaaay too tempting. At a another game you never would have been involved in the hand.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:11 PM

Its 1/4 of a big bet, and he has the button. I think any two suited, even 93, are playable here.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:19 PM

Here's the thing, an aggressive smart player bets the flop, and then an apparent blank comes on the turn. Then he checks. Let's see, is his top pair suddenly no good. No, he was betting a draw of some sort, and then the Q of diamonds hits on the river, and he bets out. Hmmmmm, what draw could he have?. I know that you shouldn't draw to something that you can't bet, but the betting pattern here should have set off some major (pun intended) alarms.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:19 PM

Gee, this game's designed for action, action, action. I guess 93s could be limped multiway in position for 3 bucks playing 6-12. The proviso, of course, is that you don't overplay your hand.

On the flop, I think raising is best but only marginally so since the field is thin. You have 14 outs to improve, but - as we saw - some of them may not be clean. I'm not sure you lose that much by calling here.

The more interesting decision seems to be whether you have a value raise on the river. He certainly played it like a flush draw. If you think that Majorkong is tricky enough that you will have to call a threebet, then I would just call. If you could confidently fold to a threebet there, then maybe there is an argument for raising.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:33 PM

But he might have been in a similar situation w/ 87s. Nobody would fault playing that hand in that spot. So what to do w/ a flush draw and bottom pair on the flop, 2 pr and flush draw on turn and flush on river? I think a flop raise is good, the turn check by Majorkong was going to happen, thus a turn bet is mandatory. So how to play the river. No way can you fold a flush for 1 bet there. The real question in the hand becomes a river raise. Which is dangerous.