Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Taking a shot

Let me start by saying I'm not the type of guy to gamble my hard earned money on long shots. That being said I've recently found myself caught up in quite the pickle. I am for the most part an Empire 400NLHE player, generally multitabling. Well after having a good two days(+$2500) I decided to take a small shot w/my winnings and buy in for the min at $2000PLOH. Next thing I know I turn my $400 into $3400. I know you must be thinking where is the problem, well here it is. With in the next two days I find myself taking these $400 shots over and over again everytime I take a small hit at the holdem tables, and eventually I dumped every dime of my winnings. I've since repeated the process numerous times, pissing away all my winnings for the month on long shots. I guess what I'm looking for are similar stories/situations from other players and what they did to break the habbit.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Taking a shot

[ QUOTE ]
Let me start by saying I'm not the type of guy to gamble my hard earned money on long shots. That being said I've recently found myself caught up in quite the pickle. I am for the most part an Empire 400NLHE player, generally multitabling. Well after having a good two days(+$2500) I decided to take a small shot w/my winnings and buy in for the min at $2000PLOH. Next thing I know I turn my $400 into $3400. I know you must be thinking where is the problem, well here it is. With in the next two days I find myself taking these $400 shots over and over again everytime I take a small hit at the holdem tables, and eventually I dumped every dime of my winnings. I've since repeated the process numerous times, pissing away all my winnings for the month on long shots. I guess what I'm looking for are similar stories/situations from other players and what they did to break the habbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but you should not be playing poker with the personality that you have.

[ QUOTE ]
what they did to break the habbit.

[/ QUOTE ]
when broke, that solved my problem.
dave

Try psychology forum? or GA.
Buying in short at a higher limit is not quick road to regain lost profits at lower levels.

-JP

Taking shots with min-buyins is lame. That's all I have to say really.

Edit: Haha that was a quick 4 replies.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:04 AM

Thats not the case at all. I've been playing 2/5 live for nearly two years and have had excellent sucess(mainly live). I very rarely will play a NLHE game that is over my bankroll. However, something about the action that the big omaha game gives has been drawing me back.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:06 AM

I am not saying that you are a bad poker player in the sense that you do not understand/ cannot play the game. But you clearly have an addictive personality, and that just does not mix well with poker. You dumped an entire months profits essentially on tilt in a few days. This is a warning sign. I sincerely recommend you re-evaluate your situation.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 AM

Try the Psychology forum, people might be able to better advise you there. Buying in for the min. after a good day of play a few levels down is not taking a shot though, it's gambling. Take a shot at 5/10 HOLDEM, run good, bankroll yourself for 3/6, rinse repeat. Don't go with the winnings to 2k. I dropped tens of thousands before learning this lesson. Don't make the same mistakes I did.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 AM

But you clearly have an addictive personality, and that just does not mix well with poker.

I disagree. Addictive personalities are good so long as you are addicted to learning.

I think Negreanu and others have said that they took shots at higher games while under-bankrolled... its not the safest strategy but it isn't unusual...
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 AM

Thank you, probably the most beneficial advice I could have heard.