Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Default player observations

About 2 years ago, when the poker explosion took effect, i recall one time i had been playing all day, and most of the night. I sat down at a sng and before it even started, i was out like a light, well i woke up to my suprise finished in 3rd place. Sweet. Well obviously those days are behind us, and more and more players are now stepping up, learning the game, and observing their opposition. But how well? I still see players use the time clock as a psycological advantage, and i still see players put bad moves on solid players that have shown down good hands everytime. So i guess the discussion should be like this. How observant do you feel the players have become? Do they really pay attention to the range of hands your playing? Do they really use tournament and survival tactics to the maximum, etc. etc. etc. I posted this just to get some other opinions on what see when they sit down now vs 2 years ago.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: player observations

I've only been playing SnGs seriously for one year and my observation of play over that time is that generally it's become much better. I know it's been discussed before, but recently I've encountered some pretty solid play at the lower limits (ie $22s) especially around the bubble. Of course there are donks early on, but busting in to the money seems a bit more difficult than it was a year ago. Just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been playing SnGs seriously for one year and my observation of play over that time is that generally it's become much better. I know it's been discussed before, but recently I've encountered some pretty solid play at the lower limits (ie $22s) especially around the bubble. Of course there are donks early on, but busting in to the money seems a bit more difficult than it was a year ago. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed for the most part. The players are still not good... they just have more sense when it comes to hand values and the basics (at least at the $22s).
Old 09-07-2005, 12:18 PM

I remember after Pokerspot went under and Paradise (one of only two sites then) started 1 table tournaments. That was pretty funny play going on there. Every one just trying to figure it out.