Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Hypothetical Situation -- Calling with Suited Connectors

To make this post short here are my two questions:

1. Assuming no one pays attention to your play, and especially the details of what cards you play preflop and how, is it better to call a standard raise (3x-4xBB) with suited connectors or fold them? Obviously this depends on the situation, so consider when you call a standard raise preflop with a PP (which for me is almost always). Is there a parallel with suited connectors?

2. How valid is it to say that your opponents at low limits (NL25/NL50) do not pay attention to what cards you play and how you play them?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Situation -- Calling with Suited Connectors

I never call a standard raise with a small SC unless many other people have already called the raise before me.
This almost never happens.
If I thought it was a blind steal raise, I'd be slightly more inclined to call, but barely.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:45 PM

So is "sometimes call a raise with suited connectors" a small leak in people's games? Seems like a lot of people do it, there must be a reason...
Old 09-05-2005, 06:53 PM

I guess it makes more sense against a weak raiser, so that you'll have good fold equity on a strong draw.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never call a standard raise with a small SC unless many other people have already called the raise before me.
If I thought it was a blind steal raise, I'd be slightly more inclined to call, but barely.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it all wrong. There's no reason to call a weak raise with SC's because your opponent can get away from his hand. You want to call against someone that is like 10/2 and can't lay down an overpair. You won't hit often enough to be profitable against a marginal holding. You need either position and lots of callers or you need to be able to put your opponent on a big hand that you can stack him with if you hit.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 AM

you SHOULD call a small raise IN POSITION with suited connectors if the PF raiser has a decent stack.

these are hands that you can make monster hands with if you hit.

If the player is shortstacked then fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:33 AM

hand from today....this is why I play sooted connectors

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Hero( $47.04 )
Seat 5: BB ( $29.90 )
Seat 4: SB( $7.50 )
Seat 3: Villan ( $29.90 )
SB posts small blind [$0.10].
BB posts big blind [$0.25].

Dealt to Hero [ 8c 9c ]
Hero calls [$0.25].
Villan raises [$2].
SB folds.
BB calls [$1.75].
Hero calls [$1.75].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 9d, 9s ]
BB checks.
Hero checks.
Villan bets [$3].
BB calls [$3].
Hero raises [$10].
Villan is all-In.
BB folds.
Hero calls [$17.90].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 6h ]
** Dealing River ** [ Qs ]
Hero shows [ 8c, 9c ] a full house, Nines full of eights.
Villan doesn't show [ Ah, Ac ] two pairs, aces and nines.
Hero wins $62.90 from the main pot with a full house, Nines full of eights.
Villan has left the table.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:39 AM

If a rock is raising me, no way. If someone who is raising PF with all kinds of crap does it, of course. Any unpaired overcards to your connectors are hardy prohibitive favorites here - they're only 65% to win through five cards. You don't even have to flop your monster to win the hand if you have a good read, just hit the raggy flop.

I would much rather defend my blinds or battle a maniac with a 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] than something like KJo which, while the better hand, is so easily dominated and tougher to get away from.

As long as you know your villain, can resist the temptation to pay too much for a draw and can control the pot size (IOW, play solid post-flop poker) playing suited connectors in the face of a raise can be very profitable even though you will have to deal with the frustration of folding a LOT when it doesn't hit.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a rock is raising me, no way

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong. Rocks are the people you want to play these hands with because they're much easier to put on a hand. I'd rather call with 78s against a rock who I can put on a definite range of hands then a LAG who could have anything.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it all wrong. There's no reason to call a weak raise with SC's because your opponent can get away from his hand. You want to call against someone that is like 10/2 and can't lay down an overpair. You won't hit often enough to be profitable against a marginal holding. You need either position and lots of callers or you need to be able to put your opponent on a big hand that you can stack him with if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmhmmmm. going up against KQo with 45s sucks since you both have to hit your draw. against AA it is a great play.

People dont pay attention to how you play unless you are extreme or they are in the top 10-20%. At 25-50 most people have no idea if u play Suited connectors or not.