Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 AM

Default bad river card when u have top boat?

first post here, so be easy on me. Wonder what people think of my play on this PL hand at poker room. How would u play it diff?

-s

----

Texas Hold'em $1-$2 PL (real money)

Seat 1: slowplaynyou
Seat 2: Suite_Royale
Seat 7: taskellusaf
Seat 8: HERO [ 8S,JH ]
Seat 10: Kujira
ANTES/BLINDS
HERO posts blind ($1), Kujira posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
slowplaynyou calls $1, Suite_Royale calls $1, taskellusaf calls $1, HERO checks, Kujira checks.

FLOP [board cards 8C,2D,2H ]
HERO checks, Kujira checks, slowplaynyou checks, Suite_Royale checks, taskellusaf checks.

TURN [board cards 8C,2D,2H,8H ]
HERO checks, Kujira checks, slowplaynyou checks, Suite_Royale bets $3, taskellusaf folds, HERO calls $3, Kujira folds, slowplaynyou folds.

RIVER [board cards 8C,2D,2H,8H,2S ]
HERO bets $11, Suite_Royale bets $35, HERO bets $48, Suite_Royale bets $43.25 and is all-in, HERO calls $19.25.

SHOWDOWN
Suite_Royale shows [ 2C,10H ]
HERO shows [ 8S,JH ]
Suite_Royale wins $165.50.

SUMMARY
Dealer: taskellusaf
Pot: $167.50 | Rake: $2
slowplaynyou loses $1
Suite_Royale bets $82.25, collects $165.50, net $83.25
taskellusaf loses $1
HERO loses $82.25
Kujira loses $1
Old 08-17-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: bad river card when u have top boat?

Your rubbish hand gets a piece of the flop. I'd take a stab at it with a pot sized raise and forget about it if I don't win it right there.
But then when making the boat on 4th, what's the point in checking? I'd try and get more money in. Pot is too small for slowplay.
And even you don't get any calls on that raise, hey, you just won a few bucks with J8 off. Tha's good enough for me, and surely better then losing a lot of money on such a crappy hand.

Sure, the river is unlucky. Though a raise on the flop and especially on the turn could have avoided that.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you used your first post to post your bad beat as you are only allotted one bad beat post during your entire time here at 2+2. Now that you have that out of the way, post some hands that gave you trouble and join in the discussion. Again, welcome. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 06:31 AM

I don't understand reraising the river. It seems like at best you're chopping when you get raised. Why pay the rake and risk losing your stack?