Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Worst turn card - damn

Villain is pretty tight, pretty solid, but very aggro postflop. How badly did I butcher this already (possibly on every street?) and what the heck do I do now?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ TWP (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($99.35)
Button ($47.55)
SB ($100.90)
TWP ($155.85)
UTG ($101.15)

Preflop: TWP is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, TWP calls $4.

Flop: ($10.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TWP checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $8.5</font>, TWP calls $8.50.

Turn: ($27.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TWP checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $20</font>, TWP calls $20.

River: ($67.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
TWP checks, villain insta-pushes, TWP ...?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Worst turn card - damn

I like reraising preflop and putting lots of money in on the flop.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Do not, I repeat, do not under any circumstances just call this turn. Raise or fold -- the choice is yours and yours alone.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:25 PM

I would prefer a check-raise on this flop. He's good and aggressive, there's a diamond draw on the board, and you're not going to know where you're at if a non-king paint or a diamond (or both!) hits.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:29 PM

preflop: standard (at least for me)
flop: lead this flop, what are you gaining here by checking?
now (TWP asks what if raised) well, he might be testing you, but if he's solid and tight there is a very good chance you might be beat. Think about the fact that you might be playing for your stack if you call.

turn: flush card comes out, and a decent sized bet, i think you're beat here.

rivar: he's got like 70 left here right? I'd fold. What do you beat?

btw- i HATE check-calling with TPTK. you never know where you stand.

ps-i don't play and don't pretend to know anything about 6-max.
turn:
Old 08-14-2005, 10:31 PM

i'd lead the turn

EDIT: i'm good with a flop check-raise too...
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 PM

Opponent dependent whether you re-raise pre-flop. I tend to re-raise against people who will pay me off when I hit, or people who have very wide re-raise calling standards (okay, just about everyone). If I feel confident I can get it all-in with one pair and be ahead a good percentage of the time, I'll just call.

I don't understand check-calling the flop. Bet out. It says 'I have an ace' but opponent doesn't know what ace. Sometimes he'll call with pocket pairs, not believing you have an ace. Are you hoping to trap him for more money on later streets with one pair out of position? By check-calling, you figure out as much about his hand as you knew before he took any action - nothing at all. If you bet and he calls, is he really going to try to steal the pot from you on later streets? You can confidently put him on a flush draw or an ace and play accordingly.

Now if I were thinking, and often at the table I'm not, or don't suspect my opponent is, I lead this turn, trying to represent a made flush. If opponent raises, I can be safely finished with the hand. If opponent calls, I can check-call a reasonable sized bet on the end provided no diamond hits.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM

the general feeling i got when i read the hand (not conveyed well in my original post) is just to be aggressive SOMEWHERE and then be done with the hand when faced with more aggression.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:56 PM

check raise the flop, lead turn? That's what i'd do. I don't walking the dog, but not on a 2flush board...too easy to get lost, which is what happened here. That diamond on the turn was also a queen which sucked. If you checkraise flop, lead turn at least you can fold to a raise and not feel lost. Please tell me you folded that river and if you didn't I hope you snapped off a zany bluff.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:04 PM

I agree here...you push or fold the turn...decide now if he has the flush...calling is not a good choice

ERBY [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]