Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Was I not aggressive enough with my set after the flop?

This guy (the UTG poster in the hand below) sat down, posted, was dealt a hand and raised. I was sure that at least 3-4 people behind me would call if I cold-called, but I had zero read on this guy that just sat down. After he re-raised me on the flop, I was slightly worried he had TT, but, like I said, I had no read on him. After the hand, I got some comments from some at the table that I should have raised on the turn and, failing that, raised on the river. My thinking was:
<ul type="square">[*]if I've got it, this guy is betting for me, and I've got a loose-caller behind me who will probably fold if I raise[*]the pot is too big to fold.[/list]
My question is, was I too passive on the turn and the river?

Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: our_Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.03. UTG posts a blind of $0.02.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, our_Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">our_Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, our_Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (13.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, our_Hero calls, MP3 calls, SB folds.

River: (16.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, our_Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
Old 08-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Was I not aggressive enough with my set after the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
I was sure that at least 3-4 people behind me would call if I cold-called

[/ QUOTE ] i'd rather cold call after this rather than before.

you've got MUBS if you fear TT when he could have AA-JJ too. TT is very unlikely. go gonzo on the turn. who cares if the guy behind you folds. you gain his BB by having UTG pick it up when he calls our raise and pays off on the river.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 PM

if you are going to call the flop 3-bet, raise the turn for sure!!

this is just about the absolute perfect flop for 55. do you think he had exactly TT? raise it up!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:27 PM

I would fold this preflop. Calling 2 cold to an UTG raiser with a small pocket is a recipe for losing money (I realize this isn't your typical good player since he posted UTG). You end up heads up to many times.

Cap the flop and the turn. If he's still firing, I would slow down on the river (TT is possible but I'm not ready to give him credit for it). At this limit, many bad players will keep calling with overcards or top pair (which you are way ahead of) so keep betting.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was slightly worried he had TT

[/ QUOTE ]

um we call this MUBS

anyway calling the 3bet is fine, as long as you raise the turn
Old 08-12-2005, 02:33 PM

I would be way more aggressive than that!, not much beating you, dont get MUBS and cap cap
cdl
Old 08-12-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold this preflop. Calling 2 cold to an UTG raiser with a small pocket is a recipe for losing money (I realize this isn't your typical good player since he posted UTG).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am rather new to poker and these ultra-micro limit games, however, I've been studying my SSH book closely. The proflop action shows how loose this table was, and Miller says quite clearly that, at a loose table, against a raise in early and middle position, you should call with any pocket pair. You disagree? It's a speculative hand that pays off BIG when it hits ... which, btw, this hand is a perfect example of.

[ QUOTE ]
You end up heads up to many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you, at this table, a crazy UTG raise cold-called in middle-position will NEVER end up heads up. Maybe my experience is misleading, but at these tables I've been playing, this NEVER happens. I didn't say I was "almost" sure 3-4 would call, I said I was SURE 3-4 people would call.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 PM

Let me change my question here.

[ QUOTE ]

Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: our_Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.03. UTG posts a blind of $0.02.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, our_Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">our_Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font> ... now what?

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you suggest I do after the UTG player re-raises on the flop? why?

What hands do you put him on? why?

What is your thought process when you're analyzing this situation?

Any help is really appreciated.