Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Default River bet ?

I came across this in a wild & loose table, not too aggressive, but wild as in people kinda did weird stuff, raised with nothing, called with nothing etc - very hard to read but hands pay off very well. So here's the situation:

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="red"> Hero ??? </font>.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Value bet on the river or check ?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: River bet ?

Bet. With a Jack he should have reraised you on the turn, BB was trapped so would have been easy money for MP.
When both also check the river there is no reason to believe you arent ahead here most of the time. A weaker ace is much more likely. If you raise the turn and they just call, a complete brick falls on the river, why would you check it through?
I dont think I raise the turn though. 1/2 players are pretty passive, when you raise a paired board on the flop and he leads the turn anyways, you might be in trouble. Board is not very drawy, its not possible that any overcards fall on the river. If you are ahead on the turn, you will probably finish ahead so its better to call and get the money from BB.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: River bet ?

Ye I've been on a bad run for the last few days - I guess i'm getting paranoid. And many of these guys called and reraised on the river and not turn. Very weird. As for this particular case, I don't think betting would've gained any more value than checking did (I checked it)

I suppose if I get reraised in the river, I curse a bit, slam my keyboard out the window and click the "Crying call" button? ;D