Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Default How Ethical Is Party\'s Rebuy All-in Glitch?

I think this has been discussed before. The fact that it was brought to the attention of Party who is not doing anything about it (so far), and it is available to any one who knows and care to use it, I am not bringing the question of whether it is cheating or not but rather the issue of being ethical.

I was playing a 5+1 still debating whether I should use this "privileged" info when I got moved to a table where 2 players had stacks of about 5-6K with no more than 20 hands dealt. Shortly thereafter, both players made dubious pushes and voila, they had 1K chips more than they actually won. Then, I got moved to my 3rd table in the first 30 minutes. I noticed 1 player with 20K stack with the blinds still at 15-30, made a raise of about 19K on a 120 pot, won the hand, while his stack balooned to 21K. So finally, I said to myself: 'the hell with it, if I cannot lick them, then join them'. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I took advantage of a couple of opportunities and brought my stack to about 12K by the first break. I finished in the money albeit just a little over twice my total buyin of 26 bucks.

I am still uneasy in using this privilege info which, although probably not known to the vast majority of players is becoming more rampantly used by the more shrewd ones. OTOH, if I don't I will be clearly diadvantaged against these players. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thoughts and opinions, pls.

Incidentally, I checked later in the tourney and the 21K guy did not even made it to the 3rd hour. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: How Ethical Is Party\'s Rebuy All-in Glitch?

You are right, it is a 'glitch'. But it's the same for everyone, so I guess if you want to constantly rebuy when all your chips are in the middle, well, that's up to you.

I don't know how it would be 'unethical' when it's the same for everyone. I know what you're saying, though - not everyone knows about it.

Then again, not everyone knows you can rebuy immediately, either.

Take care.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Incidentally, I checked later in the tourney and the 21K guy did not even made it to the 3rd hour. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's why there isn't more outrage, often those idiots bust early so they're just making the prizepool bigger.

The key is to get Aces one of those times he goes all in.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:24 AM

If those people want to dump 5+ buyins into the prize pool, they can be my guest.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:41 AM

i'm sorry i don't know what you guys are talking about, can somebody please explain this glitch to me?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sorry i don't know what you guys are talking about, can somebody please explain this glitch to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine your standard Party rebuy where everyone starts with 1000 chips. You are allowed to rebuy anytime you have a chip balance of 1000 or below. Because of poor programming, a big stack can push in, and when their chips are in the middle, party treats their chip balance as zero. Players can use this time to click "rebuy". The hand might end up folded to their push, but the 1,000 chips remains.

Considering that the vastly more annoying Party bug involving hand for hand staying on too long hasn't been fixed in years, I don't expect this one to disappear anytime soon either.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 AM

So the best course of action in such a tournament is to pull ak, aq, etc. and push, then rebuy, as much as possible? Also does it work if you just push enough to go under 1k?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:47 AM

It can also be a dangerous policy - I was with a guy going all in to my right almost every hand and I just waited and picked my spots and called his all-ins - accumulated the same chip stack as him (about 25k) by the break which he had kindly paid for
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 AM

I remember back when I questioned this strategy..$30+3 rebuy, this maniac just kept rebuying and going all-in, he rebought enough so he had invested over $300! He needed to place 7th out of 800 just to break even!!! What a nut!

PS- He came in 1st and cleared about 6K for his $300 investment.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]