Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:07 AM

Default A real question.

There is a button by your computer, sky blue in color, and if you press that button every single human on the planet will instantly die, except you. Do you press it?

I would in a heatbeat and with no remorse or guilt at all. But that's just the type of person I am. I like to feel good.

(It may be better to add the cavaet that at least one buxom redhead sex goddess will also survive but that would be uninteresting as all would hit the button, so a boring question really)

For another take on this, change the above parameter to: if you press the button all probability of God's existence, however small or large that may be (up to 100% if you are a firm theist), vanishes. There is no possibility of a God, now - forever. Do you press the button?

Le Misanthrope
Old 08-15-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: A real question.

these questions are incredibley uninteresting. no for the first, no for the second.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For another take on this, change the above parameter to: if you press the button all probability of God's existence, however small or large that may be (up to 100% if you are a firm theist), vanishes. There is no possibility of a God, now - forever. Do you press the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly not sure if i would. If I did, i would feel no remorse, but i can't exactly say i would be happier. I could probably deal with solitude, but im having a hard time deciding whether or not i could be happier under those circumstances. I need to think about that. In the meantime, i'd like to pose you a question: would you start having sex with animals after destroying mankind or are all your sexual needs self-fulfilling? I'm starting to think the redhead really makes all the difference to me.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 AM

you predictabily criticize every thread. I honestly can't understand why you continue post here if literally everything is either uninteresting or incredibly stupid, according to you. i'd seriously like to know why.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:02 AM

It's late and I have to get. The solitude question is only part of it I think. The sex part was thrown in for fun. Also, perhaps I did phrase the questions clealy enough.

But its really the consequences of what happens next, after the button is pushed, for Both circumstances:

A) you are the only human, let's say God positively exists.

B) Everything is the same except that positively God does not exist. Humanity still goes on. Implict in this is the fact that only you know that there is no God.

Take a few more steps, for both circumstances, and see where it leads, if anywhere.

-Zeno
Old 08-15-2005, 04:03 AM

I tink some questions are interesting, but if someone would like to point what is interesitng about the question woul;d you push a button that killedeeveryone else, I'm more than open toward hearing it. For an example odf a decent question, read my response to sklansky on the thread an important phoilopshy questoin.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 AM

Woody Allen had a movie with a similar theme, but i can't remember what its called right now. Anyways, in the movie, a prominent doctor kills his mistress because she is causing trouble. The doctor decides his life is better off with her dead and so he hires someone to kill her.

Soon after her death he feels a little remorse, but as time passes that disappears. He fears no punishment and ultimately has benefited from his choice.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:37 AM

Hmmm...tough. Since I'm Catholic..if I were to get rid of God then I wouldn't have to feel so damn guilty all the time...LOL!
I guess I would have to say no to scenario 2...I can't see living life without Divine Providence...and maybe a little something to look forward to when I pass away.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a button by your computer, sky blue in color, and if you press that button every single human on the planet will instantly die, except you. Do you press it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never. Being all alone will be so boring, unless God plays games such as backgammon or cards, or if he is a good debater so we could discuss is an afterlife exists. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I would in a heatbeat and with no remorse or guilt at all. But that's just the type of person I am. I like to feel good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel good being all alone, there is no need to kill every single human on the planet. Just ignore their existence and you can be sure that they will ignore you too.

[ QUOTE ]
It may be better to add the cavaet that at least one buxom redhead sex goddess will also survive but that would be uninteresting as all would hit the button, so a boring question really)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right it would be uninteresting. I am a woman.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I wasn’t going to press that button.
Believing that God exists brings magic into my life. I really don’t understand why some people are trying to teach me how to be logical. I prefer to believe that I am the creation of a God than the evolution of a monkey.
How can I feel love when I know that love is only a chemical reaction of the brain and not a feeling of the heart?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 AM

I don't understand the probabilities part of the whole thing. Aren't you just saying that you're given knowledge of the reality of the God thing. In the first case you're given knowledge that God exists? In the second case you're given knowledge that he doesn't exist? I'm not sure it makes sense. How can pressing a button give you knowledge about something that may not be true. Does pressing the button suddenly make it true? So if there is a God, pressing the second button kills him? And if there isn't a God, pressing the first button brings him into existence?

Doesn't make sense to me.

PairTheBoard