Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 01:48 AM

Default 2/5 NL 5 handed River Play

Opponent is decent. He calls too much and is a bit too loose imo. My image at the time is tight and very aggressive. What's my river play? If you say bet of course include size.

$5 BB (5 handed)

MP ($1198)
<font color="#CC3333">Button ($271)</font>
SB ($891)
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ($591)</font>
UTG ($323)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $17</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $12.

Flop: ($36) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($36) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $36</font>, Button calls $36.

River: ($108) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 07-15-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: 2/5 NL 5 handed River Play

While I would be inclined to check, and hope he bets at the pot, I think the most reliable route is to bet between 3/4 and 1.5 times the pot. Is he aggressive enough to bet at the pot if it's checked to him with just an A? If so, I'm checking, because I want his whole stack. If he is relatively passive, I'm betting as stated above, and hoping to be raised.

ChewyMint
Old 07-15-2005, 02:23 AM

Betting the pot is probably the best route if you often continue bluffing on the river aggressively. He probably wants to showdown his hand and will pay a reasonable price to due it, so the larger end of the pot gives him a reasonable price and you a nice profit. The bet size depends alot on your normal value bet and or bluff. Something a little bit larger than standard is most likely to get called and make you the most money.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:29 AM

Bet 2/3 of the pot.

After checking the flop and calling the turn, he can only have 3 things.
1) A mediocre hand that isn't good enough to value bet the river, but isn't weak enough to bluff, but may or may not be good enough to call a bet.
2) A draw.
3) A very strong hand that he was slowplaying (i.e a set).

In scenario 1, betting is clearly better.
Scenario 2 and 3 are much less likely, but I think betting is still slightly better than checking. If he has a set, there is a good chance he will raise your bet but fold to your check raise, in which case betting is superior. If he has a higher flush, he is prolly doubling through you nomatter what. If he missed a gut shot or picked up club draw on the turn, you probably aren't getting a dime out of him no matter what.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 AM

I like betting $80.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:47 AM

I bet the pot. It's either bet the pot or shove all-in and I'd lean towards 'bet the pot' with just the descriptions provided.

You're really betting to extract maximum value from him those times he slowplayed a monster trying to double up through an aggressive 'big' stack. My only fear w/shoving all-in is that he loses his resolve and folds a set to the river overbet often enough that you would have been better off betting the pot. Then again, you are obviously calling any and all raises to pay off his better flushes.. so if he's loose enough and you think he perceives you as aggressive enough to infrequently laydown a set, you shove all-in. Otherwise you're doubling him whenever he has flush and letting him off the hook when he has a set and that's just not good.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:30 AM

what's wrong with betting?

fim
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 AM

why arent you leading the flop?

if raised its an easy push
Old 07-15-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why arent you leading the flop?

if raised its an easy push

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible advice. I tell you my opponent is loose and calls too much and you want me to push with medium flush draw on an Ace high flop?!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 AM

You say he calls too much, does he call big bets that look like bluffs and overbets?

I don't check here ever, but I bet $75-108 most of the time, and in your case if he will call a overbet with just a pair of aces, I would bet like $144-244.