Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:51 PM

Default What do you pros mean by betting your unimproved big pair for value?

on the river? When should you be doing this? When you don't put your opponent on a draw? When you think he's too timid to reraise with two pair but will call a river bet with a crummy pair? When his cards are dead? All of these things?

BeerDog
Old 07-01-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: What do you pros mean by betting your unimproved big pair for value?

Years from now when I write a stud book for fun I want to discuss this at length. I know some stud players on party that are excellent on every round, but, they should be value betting their big pairs on the river instead of checking. This situation that I'm talking about is the classic one where you raise with a split big pair (say kings) and someone with what looks to be a lower big pair (say queens). In this situation I bet the entire way if I'm first to act. Too many people are willing to pay off the river to see your higher big pair with there queens in such cases. These same people are also not willing to raise (Players like Nappori are an exception to this [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

So by checking we're letting our opponent get a free showdown when they might have called. And, we let them bet hands that beat us (then we usually have to call). So my motto is generally "When in doubt bet". I could go on and on about this but I have to go. I might post some more on this very lengthy topic later.

Mike Emery
Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: What do you pros mean by betting your unimproved big pair for value?

Against the people I play against, checking usually induces a bluff, and produces the same result. I usually win the same amount, but I think I need to work on this as well.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against the people I play against, checking usually induces a bluff, and produces the same result. I usually win the same amount, but I think I need to work on this as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true against a smaller pair though? Its obviously fine if you KNOW your opponent is on a flush draw or something.. But, most people are happy to take the free showdown.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: What do you pros mean by betting your unimproved big pair for valu

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true against a smaller pair though? Its obviously fine if you KNOW your opponent is on a flush draw or something.. But, most people are happy to take the free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, if you bet they may fold. now that you check, they may bet as a bluff to take down the pot. this isn't a problem if you call every time, but if they look like they are on a draw and you dont improve your big pair, you may be losing to much by always paying them off.