Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Strategy for Mutli-Tabling?

Hi Everyone,
I read much about multi-tabling as the way to make a living at online poker.

To be honest, being a nube to online poker, one table is bad enough.

But for me it begs some questions. Maybe you can help me?

1. How is the playing strategy for multi-tabling different? - I have to believe that some abreviated form of "ABC" Poker Strategy is used that, though not optimal is +EV and optimized to make rapid decisions. With that in mind, what is that strategy? Should it not also work on one table for me to test it out on, then start trying 2, 3... 12 (laugh... I'll never be that fast!)

2.) What additional software is used to support this concept?

Anyway, when I read Ed Miller saying $50K a year is possible mulit-tabling $3/$6... well I want to do that! LOL! The ideal telecommute job!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Strategy for Mutli-Tabling?

Suggest you play around with two, and three tables
of PLAY MONEY to get a feel for it.

It takes some getting used to, but is fairly easy
once you do.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How is the playing strategy for multi-tabling different? - I have to believe that some abreviated form of "ABC" Poker Strategy is used that, though not optimal is +EV and optimized to make rapid decisions. With that in mind, what is that strategy? Should it not also work on one table for me to test it out on, then start trying 2, 3... 12 (laugh... I'll never be that fast!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe at first it's overwhelming to play multible tables at once, but you quickly get the hang of it. If you're altering your playing style and not playing optimal because of too many tables, than you need to reduce the number of tables you are playing and NOT play a less than optimal strategy.

When I first started playing 4 tables, I had a hard time keeping up with the action. Now, it seems like when I 4 table I have all the time in the world. I surf, watch TB, post on 2+2, check PT stats and still have time to do other things.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) What additional software is used to support this concept?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really... you'll just need to play on more than 1 site if you want to play more than 4 tables as that's the max for most sites. Also, you might want to use a program like Gametime+ or Playerview since getting reads on people is harder when you multitable (this is debatable though).
Old 06-26-2005, 09:43 PM

I just started multitabling this month. Started with two, then 3, then 4. I had to change my playing style (for the better, used to be loose/passive till I read a few books, now play as tight/agressive). I got into it all by thinking that I can play fewer hands per table, play better hands, and if I make a few bucks per hour per table it would be very profitable. After reading up on poker strategy I've updated my playing style and it's working out quite well.

As far as software PokerTracker, Poker Office, Poker Edge or which everyone you choose get one that allows you to have stats on each player displayed on the table. This is immensely useful since it gets harder and harder to get a sense of a players style if your playing multiple tables at the same time.

Another piece of software thats helpful for party skins is MultiTableHelper. Read up on it in this thread. Basically it shifts active windows around for you, so you only have to look at one area of the screen. If I think of something else I'll add later, hope this helps though.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 PM

So am I reading this right?

You tighted up significantly by playing just the quality hands (say groups 1,2,3) fold the rest and just play more tables?

[ QUOTE ]
... I got into it all by thinking that I can play fewer hands per table, play better hands, and if I make a few bucks per hour per table it would be very profitable. After reading up on poker strategy I've updated my playing style and it's working out quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any post flop strategy changes?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:55 PM

I tightened up from what I was before after reading up on strategy. I used see the flop around 35-50% of the time and was not a big better preflop or post. Right now I see the flop below 20% at a 1/2 limit 10max game. I started multitabling with my previous loose/passive style and found that I was loosing money even tho I was starting to play fewer hands, so I decided to get some reading material.

I got
Play Poker Like the Pros
by Phil Hellmuth

and Super System
by Doyle Brunson

Read about a third of Hellmuth's book and applied the tight/aggressive concept to my multitabling and it worked, and is still working. At first I was doing 25NL 10max games, but my variance was high, lots of swings. Basically saying I still have a lot to do. As of the past week I've been playing 1/2 10max limit games and have been doing better. Reason I switched to 1/2 is because I found bonuswhoring.com and started doing that lots. 1/2 is the lowest limit that a rake will be counted on a lot of sites to clear their bonuses. The bonus adds nicely to my profit margin and helps out if you have a bad session or two.

I've been working a part time summer job for the past 2 months which is ending in two weeks or so, this past week I've been making better money with poker then that part time job with multitabling. I'll probably read the rest of Hellmuths book in the coming week and start on Super System.

What I've done has worked for me, a month ago I was a bad player who didn't have a clue on poker strategy. I still have a long way to go, but my game has improved greatly from that time. I don't know skilled you are in poker, but I suggest reading up on some strategy and applying that to multitabling.

It's really not too difficult unless you have to act on all the tables at once. I 6 table on one monitor and set up the windows so I can see the buttons on the right side of each window. That way if I get dealt cards those buttons give me options to bet and what not. So when I see the buttons change to give me options I go to that table and bet/raise/check/fold. You just have to scan the monitor constantly to see if there's anything to do, and usually with 6 tables there's at least one all the time where you're involved in a hand. With MTH this is less of a problem because it brings up the windows you have to act on for you.

My suggestion would be to start on a party skin and use MTH (I've been clearing bonuses on the cryptic logic network which isn't supported by MTH). Start with two tables and see if you can keep a decent game going. Then do three and four, but take your time before you add another. Make sure you can figure out whats going on, respond in time, make an informed decision. Those tracking programs will help you with the decision part.

Alright hope I didn't ramble on too much.

Jarek

Edit:
Post flop change was that I got more agressive. Pretty much applied what was in Hellmuth's book.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:08 PM

ed miller is wrong, 100k+ is possible for multitabling 3/6. 8table 2.5BB/100 getting in 520 hands/hr, plus rakeback = $100/hr. play 40 hours a week, make 4k a week x 52 weeks = 208k. some people 16 table, but have a declining winrate and cant put in 40 hours a week from what i understand.

when talking to people about what i do, they often ask if i have some sort of system. do i play ultratight? wait for aces? no, i try to play optimal poker the best that i can. poker basically comes down to mathematical play, especially when playing limit. once you understand the mathematics of it enough it becomes mechanical, systematic if you will. some situations require reads but datamined stats will usually give you what you need. taking notes is important as well. i dont really know how playing 1 table is different than playing 4 tables, other than that my ev would be slightly higher. i have a system regardless of how many tables i play.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ed miller is wrong, 100k+ is possible for multitabling 3/6. 8table 2.5BB/100 getting in 520 hands/hr, plus rakeback = $100/hr. play 40 hours a week, make 4k a week x 52 weeks = 208k. some people 16 table, but have a declining winrate and cant put in 40 hours a week from what i understand.

when talking to people about what i do, they often ask if i have some sort of system. do i play ultratight? wait for aces? no, i try to play optimal poker the best that i can. poker basically comes down to mathematical play, especially when playing limit. once you understand the mathematics of it enough it becomes mechanical, systematic if you will. some situations require reads but datamined stats will usually give you what you need. taking notes is important as well. i dont really know how playing 1 table is different than playing 4 tables, other than that my ev would be slightly higher. i have a system regardless of how many tables i play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only wish for 2.5/100 at $3/6. Let me get back into the black/100 at $1/2 before crushing me with this little tidbit.

Seriously though, 3 tabling is not a problem for me, but when the 4th one is added it feels like smoke is coming out of my ears. Meh. I guess ADHD does come in handy for some things.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:51 PM

I can 8 table pretty easily now. I don't know if I could add more. Granted my winning rate is only slightly over 1/bb per 100 @ $1/$2 when I 8 table.

Gotta get better at this before moving up or adding more tables.

It is all about rakeback and bonuses though.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:59 PM

So far I'm at 1.65 BB/100 after 10k hands. Double that if you include bonuses. Will probably move up to 8 table this week or next.