Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2005, 11:14 AM

Default fundemental short handed concept I\'m missing

picture a 6 handed 3/6 stars game. Game is weak, but will typically have 1 decent LAG, 1 decent TAG, and some fish.

You (or I) correctly raise UTG with a hand like QJs
All fold to the button who correctly raises his hand (unknown to us) to get it heads up with us.

Let's say that this guy would make this play with anything from 77 (or even lower maybe) to AA, and all the decent big connectors and Aces. So he could have AK just as often as 77 here.

When the flop comes KQx, giving us middle pair, what is your line UTG ?

I looked at this today trying to figure out 3-4 possible ways to tackle the hand.

1) Bet, he raises (correctly), I ?

I can see myself calling, then checking and calling to the river if the board stays more or less the same

I can see myself 3 betting that flop in the hopes of maybe getting a feel for his hand

I can't imagine I'd ever fold.

2) check raise the flop

How many of you do this ? If you check raise and he 3 bets, do you fold ?

3) check call to the river. Is this giving him too many cheap cards ? Is our hand strong enough that we'd want to be protecting it ?

4) check call the flop, check raise the turn on a card that doesn't appear to change the hand. Anyone do this ?

I'm guessing that what makes a good player good is the ability to mix up the lines here to confuse other players. i'd just like to know if any of the lines I suggested weren't even worth doing (and if so, why). thanks a bunch,

M