Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Hellmuth Endorsement Question

Not sure if this has been discussed already (if it has, i overlooked it)

this is a quote from Hellmuth's chat like a month and a half ago

"SportsNation Phil Hellmuth: Endorsements. I supported myself but until 2002 I was never really paid any money outside of being a pro poker player. I've been lucky in real estate and the stock market. But in 2002 I got big endorsement streams coming in from all kinds of
different projects. My clothing line alone, who knows how much money I will make from that. I'm very blessed and lucky to have them. But through my endoresements and such, I could make about $400 million. In poker, $1-2 million a year is OK."

wtf is he smoking? $400 mil? the only way I could see this # even being within the realm of consideration were if..he had a huge piece of UB b/c of his contract

the highest paid endorser in the world, Tiger, gets...$90 mill? then Schumacher, Beckham, Lebron..all under 100 mill...and PHIL HELLMUTH is going to get $400 mil?
does he even make more than a mill on endorsements? why would oakley pay him much when they have michael jordan and others on the staff? who actually buys products b/c phil hellmuth endorses them?

Also, on the same note, all these pros seem to be pimping Brian Balsbough (sp?)'s name and how great an agent he is...how much $ can you actually make being a poker agent? legitimate job, or something that will disappear when the poker boom dies down
Old 05-18-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth Endorsement Question

[ QUOTE ]
legitimate job, or something that will disappear when the poker boom dies down

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's liable to get more lucrative for him as the poker boom dies down (so long as it doesn't "die" completely, but that's highly unlikely). Since poker players would no longer be getting attention so easily, the services of someone who can put them in the (now much more elusive) limelight will become much more valuable.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:10 AM

I did wonder about the 400 mill figure when i first saw it about a month back.

The conclusion i came to was he had either smoked some good [censored], or he meant either 400mill over X amount of years, or 400 mill in worth, and that the guy typing into the chat took it out of context in trying to cut it down.

Either of the above 3 scenarios could be true as far as im aware, although the first one is more likely than the last two imo.

Also, as far as im aware, the only person to buy some of his more random items (such as the icehocky jersey) was Paul P; and that was just for a jopke.

Phill
Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
legitimate job, or something that will disappear when the poker boom dies down

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's liable to get more lucrative for him as the poker boom dies down (so long as it doesn't "die" completely, but that's highly unlikely). Since poker players would no longer be getting attention so easily, the services of someone who can put them in the (now much more elusive) limelight will become much more valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. Much better to be an average celebrity in a huge business, than to be the biggest celebrity in a tiny business.

Would you rather have Cynthia Cooper money, or Shaun Bradley money?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or he meant either 400mill over X amount of years, or 400 mill in worth

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I took it. And I can swallow that. One thing to consider in doing so is that poker players have a much longer shelf-life than pro athletes. The average career for a pro football player (NFL) is about 3-4 years. Golf may be the one exception that come to mind easily due to the senior tour and such. Mr. Helmuth could easily play poker well into his 70s or 80s. That's plenty of time to build up to 400 mil.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Phil's more likely to make $400 million on endorsements than he is to make $1-$2 million a year playing poker for the next ten years.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil's more likely to make $400 million on endorsements than he is to make $1-$2 million a year playing poker for the next ten years.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 05-18-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or he meant either 400mill over X amount of years, or 400 mill in worth

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I took it. And I can swallow that. One thing to consider in doing so is that poker players have a much longer shelf-life than pro athletes. The average career for a pro football player (NFL) is about 3-4 years. Golf may be the one exception that come to mind easily due to the senior tour and such. Mr. Helmuth could easily play poker well into his 70s or 80s. That's plenty of time to build up to 400 mil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm...even if this is over the next 40 years, I can't imagine that PH can come close to 10 million a year in endorsements. At a bare minimum he has moved the decimal point a notch, even that is a little on the high side.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because he sucks compared to top level pros? or because its just that difficult to do?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 PM

Because he sucks.