Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Default I checkraised him twice, is that a good play in this situation?

MP1 is an overly agressive player who plays any Ace and a wide variety of marginal hands. Whenever he is heads up he will be even more agressive, by semi-bluffing and pure-bluffing if he thinks he can get you to fold.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7h 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
MP1 has Js Kd (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB. </font>

I figured I could checkraise the river because he will almost always bet the river HU to try to steal the pot, the only thing I'm wondering is, maybe I shouldn't have check-raised because even if he did bet, maybe he wouldn't call my raise? but seeing as he doesn't give people much credit, I decided to go for it. In this case it earned me an extra 1 or even maybe 2 big bets, if he would have folded to a river bet, but I'm not sure it was the right play, what do you all think? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: I checkraised him twice, is that a good play in this situation?

I probably lead this river...no one but a total donk bets that river with a jack, but you were playing a donk, so congrats, if he has JQ you might even get to bet/3-bet
Old 05-02-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably lead this river...no one but a total donk bets that river with a jack, but you were playing a donk, so congrats, if he has JQ you might even get to bet/3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always lead this river too, but I thought I could squeeze an extra bet out of this guy...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always lead this river too, but I thought I could squeeze an extra bet out of this guy...

[/ QUOTE ]
but do you think it'd be likely for him to raise you on the river? if it is then leading the river is smart as you can get even more out of him
Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but do you think it'd be likely for him to raise you on the river? if it is then leading the river is smart as you can get even more out of him

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is 3betting this river with only a jack, on this board.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I'm leading the river as well.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:30 PM

usually (at least as far as i know) you want to check raise when either a) you want to limit the field or b) you think that your opponents hand has improved in such a way that you can still beat what he has but also that he will bet. or c) you have improved in such a way that your opponents are most likely unaware of.

you showed quiet a bit of strength on the turn, if all he had was a jack what stops him from showing down here? did you put him on qj?

take his perspective: a guy just check raised me on the turn and i only just called, can i bluff him out of this pot still even so there is really no big changes to the board?

given the way youve played the hand up to this point (note: preflop) its very likely you have a 6 and middle pair is only good for a showdown here. and its unlikely villian hit a queen here and if he did your still better off betting the river because then he might very well raise you and then you can 3 bet him.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 PM

I concede, you're right, betting out is better for lots of reasons. Check-raise worked in this instance, but it probably wouldn't be the best play in the long run.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 PM

How about leading this flop, call a 2-bet and checkraise the turn?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Lol i think its funny how you got the cr in 2x, thats original.