Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Broad pre-flop raising question

Okay, you're MP3. A player who you think you can definitely outplay just open-donked in MP1. Let's say he's
25/4/1.

What are the worst cards you're raising to isolate with here?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Broad pre-flop raising question

Give some info on CO,Button and blinds.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Fair enough.

Let's say, CO is a rock. Button is a 2+2 TAG who you know to be solid and aggressive on the button. Let's say SB is a bonafide buddylister who you wouldn't be surprised to see cold call with k7os here and BB is the same as the open-donker in front of you.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 AM

For me, it's like QTo. Remember that for me, 78s > QTo. As chief pointed out though, since your position isn't the greatest you need to be thinking about the fold equity behind you. You also need to be thinking about how often the limper here goes too far with his hands. When he goes too far and pays off you can be better off to just loosen up your limping standards rather than raising with something he is technically beating with king high right now.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say, CO is a rock. Button is a 2+2 TAG who you know to be solid and aggressive on the button. Let's say SB is a bonafide buddylister who you wouldn't be surprised to see cold call with k7os here and BB is the same as the open-donker in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK...in that case the most likely result of raising will be a 3-4 handed pot with position against 2-3 just bad opponents. My range here is pretty damn big. Probably 55+ I'll raise. T9s I'd very likely raise. Axs. If I showed down a couple of junkier hands though I'd normally tighten up because the button will/SHOULD start 3-betting if he notices.

edit...also if you throw in tighter blinds then hands with some showdown potential such as A-high or any pocket pair look better. As it is suited connectors look pretty good since you're likely getting multiway action. But raising is still good with these if it normally buys you position against bad opponents.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:22 AM

how does 78s > QTo for you, king 28%?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Ugh, errant, easy please. I will raise 78s faster than QTo there because in both cases I am raising to drive him off his hand before showdown. Since that is the case the cards I have won't matter. Notice that when he actually puts up a fight a hand like 78s is more likely to have created a strong holding that QTo. If he pops me on the turn or something with QTo my most likely scenario is a one pair crap kicker holding, whereas with 78s I could be looking at some sort of flush/straight/pair combo which I'll be much happier with.