Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2002, 05:54 PM

Default Roy Cooke\'s article \"Some of My Best Advice\"

Congratulations to Roy Cooke for writing what I think is the very best article ever on poker play.

You can read it in the current edition of Card Player or on line at www.CardPlayer.com.

Barry Shulman
Old 11-30-2002, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Roy Cooke\'s article \"Some of My Best Advice\"

It's a great article and I'm glad Roy wrote it. But best article ever written on poker play? My vote would have to be Sklansky's "Pros Versus Wannabes". With a close second, everything else ever written by Sklansky. Great Cooke article none the less. H.B.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:03 AM

A well-written, concise article - I agree. But the best ever written?

The best for who? For a losing or breakeven player, with a year or so of experience under his/her belt, to use as a starting point to more further explore the ideas Mr. Cooke outlined in his article? Quite possibly.

But for others who've read a bit more, played a bit more, posted here a bit more? I didn't see any new information in the article at all, just a rehash of a subjects that are discussed daily here.

That being said I'm a new reader to the online Card Player so I don't really have an alternative candidate for the best poker article ever written. There are a number of essays here on 2+2 though that come pretty close to meeting the requirements.

Best of luck, Billy (LTL)
Old 12-01-2002, 01:09 AM

Barry:

You should actually be thanking me. A short time after Linda Johnson took over Card Player, I sat down with Cooke and her and recommended that they try him out as a writer.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-01-2002, 04:32 AM

Thank you Mason.
Barry
Old 12-01-2002, 08:12 AM

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] yeah mason, right after you invented the internet...lol..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 04:19 PM

Barry,

If there was one and only one Cooke article I could give to a student it was this one. It is a gem.

In the same issue, Jim Brier wrote a great article on his recent forays into higher limits ($80/$160) and his observations on the differences between mid limit and high limit play. As you probably know, Jim used to frequently post on this forum (and still does a bit less often). I’ll bet most of us who read this forum are rooting for him. He is a class act.

Regards,

Rick
Old 12-03-2002, 12:07 AM

lol, thats rich.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:30 PM

Default My favorite CardPlayer article

Cooke's article has some sound, general advice. However, my favorite CardPlayer article was published a few months back and was written by Sklansky. It was his retrospective of interesting poker hands he'd seen over the years. Hilarious.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:41 PM

Default Question about one statement in Roy\'s Article

Having just read the article, I agree with the praise people are giving it, however there was one idea he brought up that didn't quite sit right with me; to wit

"The blind structure is a factor that dictates how you should play. If the game has a two-chip/three-chip blind, you need to play more aggressively, since the small blind is almost always correct in calling. A two-chip/four-chip blind structure makes trapping a play with higher value."

My real question is, is this correct? Should you be more aggressive? As far as I can reason, this situation seems analogous to there being an extra blind posted, where Mason has made it quite clear that you should call more and raise less due to the reduced possibility of stealing the blinds. Perhaps there's something I'm missing?