Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Ugh, Does this ONLY happen to me?

Its really tough to play consistently online and win. People simply have no concept of money online. To many, its just a video game.

So I am at the 5-10 table last night. Its real late, but I am playing disciplined and well. Despite a couple hideous beats, I am slightly up. I just want one big hand before I go to bed - To make the three hour session worth my while.

So I wait...and wait, while I pay off blind after blind refusing to play cards like 2-6. I even tossed K-Q from the button when there were two raisers in front of me (pocket Qs out dueled pocket Js). Even though a K hit on the turn, and I would have won, I still played this correctly. I did not chase, I respected the initial strength of the raisers.

Anyway, I finally get a monster, KK. I bet, everyone folds except the calling station which calls everything.

Flop: Q,7,4

I raise, get re-raised and I call.

Turn is a 7. I now do everything I can to force him off the pot, but he keeps calling.

River is a 4. I simply call because I fear this guy might actually have slow played pocket Aces pre-flop. He bets, I call.

I flip over my KK, he flips over K-4. I asked him WTF did he play that for, and he said the K-4 were suited. So you called a pre-flop raise with K-4 followed by another raise on the flop with bottom pair and no longer any flush draw? What?

So the VERY NEXT HAND I have A-K suited.

After three limp in, I raise and the calling station plus two other call.

Flop comes A-K-10. The straight makes me nervous, but I bet strong, chase everyone off but the calling station. 7 comes on the turn, I bet and called. 5 comes on the river. Of course I bet, and promptly get re-raised.

Guess what he flips over. Yep, pocket 5s. He had BOTTOM pair on the flop AND turn, and calls my bet. He could not release it no matter how heavy I bet.

So in the span of two MONSTER hands, I lose to trips ON THE RIVER to this nimrod. This guy took about $130 from me in the span of 2 minutes with absolute trash.

Of course, to rub salt in the wound, people chat to him "nice hand" and "very nice hand". Of course, he says, "I didn't put him on AK". WTF? What difference would that have made if you had known, you'd have chased to the river anyway! Besides, I am playing tight all night, what did you think I had?????? K-4?

I play disciplined and tight, but it makes you want to throw in the towel when people like this refuse to have any concept of poker and money, and just play luck.

Does anyone have any advice here?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Ugh, Does this ONLY happen to me?

Move up to a level where they respect yours bets/raises.

-d
Old 04-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Naughty Dan.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:33 PM

Jason, I think its timew to bust out the bear again [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 04:34 PM

I see this is your first post, so I'll try not to join what I'm sure will be a deluge of snappy replies...

Bad beats are part of the game. Deal with it. Please don't post them here. Tell them "NH" and hope they don't leave the table before they lose all their chips.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:35 PM

Jones:

There are so many things wrong in this post, it's hard to even get started without writing a small book. This post is probably not going to get the responses you were hoping for. Here's the thing in a nutshell.

1. You don't have near the understanding you think you do.

2. You'll remedy that by studying the game through reading books like Small Stakes Holdem etc. And also, by posting hands here and reading other's hands.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I asked him WTF did he play that for,

[/ QUOTE ]

Knock that s[/i]hit off. Seriously.

Do some studying, you'll see why.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 PM

I lost a $1200 pot yesterday. I had AA and was 3-bet and capped by QQ and KK behind me. Two donks also decided to gambool and come along for the ride. I ended up in third place. Waaaaaaaah.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I now do everything I can to force him off the pot, but he keeps calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM

Poor guy really stepped into it. Jonesey start here

It's for the micro limit forum but its a good jumping point if you want to start posting.