Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 05:34 PM

Default The Orleans Friday $105 (not hand analysis)

Took a trip to Vegas over the weekend and played the Friday night $100 ($60 buy_in + 1*$40 re-buy) at the Orleans. Starting chips were 600 (buy-in), and one re-buy during first hour for 800. Re-buy allowed right off the bat.

The structure was the best I've played (limited to AZ B&M tourneys), starting with 1400 chips (if you rebuy at start), and 10/15 blinds. The blind increments creep up slowly from there at 20 minute intervals after the first hour (15 min. first hour)

Ended up taking 8th of 227 (was happy with this result, being my first Vegas tourney).

Some surprizes:

1) Only three of the 11 at my table took the re-buy at the start[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. So three of us had 1400, while the other eight had 600! They waited to bust before taking the extra 800.

2) Soft game. Poker Stars MTT's are way tougher than this one was. I expected to be fairly weak compared to the Vegas regulars. Only three or four of us were visitors at my original table.

3) With two tables to go (top 15 ITM), everyone clammed up to an amazing extent! Chip leader folded AJ pf, from co, to a 3BB raise. I was raising with Q4o from mp, confident that I would steal the blinds/antes. Chip leader said he had won this tourney 6x, and he was clearly in passive, slide into the money mode. By the time we were at the final table we were nearly even in chips (he was ~4x more than me with 20 players to go).

3.5) Played scared during bubble period...example of them giving my a big pot.
I raised 3BB (blinds 1000/1500) from mp with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], one fold, one call, then co thinks for two minutes and folds stating, "If there wasn't a caller, I would have called", the rest fold. Flop comes Qxx, all [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I move all-in (pot size) and get insta called. Guy flips over JJ, no [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s, I take it down. CO is upset that he folded A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pf!

So, JJ guy totally misplayed (IMHO) both pf and flop. AJ guy had 3:1 pot odds with blinds antes and bets, and folded pf (I would have called and folded flop if ugly). Anyway, they basically gave me that pot, being afraid to raise or even play.

4) Most of the short stacks were allowing themselves to get down to 1 and 2BB before pushing (this was mid-tourney, not bubble)! I was staggered by this.

All in all, I had a great time and felt that I played well throughout (I made moves I would have never concidered prior to joining this site...ie raising with Q4 near the bubble). I realize that one tournament does not mean anything, but I got the general sense that I was not outclassed...which I was a bit surprized.

I wish I could play this tournament every Friday, I loved it.

I posted this mainly to let others know of a good low buy-in Vegas tourney, as well as express my gratitude for the knowlege I have gained in the short time I've been here.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: The Orleans Friday $105 (not hand analysis)

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this mainly to let others know of a good low buy-in Vegas tourney, as well as express my gratitude for the knowlege I have gained in the short time I've been here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats, sounds like fun. Next time you'll have a bunch of skilled 2+2er's ..... oooooops!

-ptmusic