Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Standard play w/flush draw and TP on paired board?

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

I went to check my account balance at Paradise this afternoon, and saw a couple of 2/4 tables with 35+% to the flop, so I decided to try to work off some more of my bonus still lingering from back when I had hair. The SB in this hand is somewhat loose-aggressive PF, but will passively chase post-flop. I don't have a very good read on UTG+1, unfortunately.

Preflop: chesspain is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, chesspain calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, chesspain calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, chesspain calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 04-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Raise this turn?

I don't think you can raise the turn and call a non-heart river without a read.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Standard play w/flush draw and TP on paired board?

I like it. I can't imagine I'd play the hand any differently. That may, or may not, be of some consolation to you. Without reads on UTG+1, you can't fold at any point. Even with reads, they'd have to be rock solid for me to fold that river.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:35 PM

Although Bison does go a step or twenty deeper .... as per usual.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 PM

I think raising the turn here only ensures that you extract the least money when you are ahead, and lose the most money when you are behind. Villain 3-bets with trips, and probably folds with garbage.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine folding this river without a read. I assume, then, that you would suggest that I just call the turn and then call the river unimproved?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine folding this river without a read. I assume, then, that you would suggest that I just call the turn and then call the river unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my line.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain 3-bets with trips, and probably folds with garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that this is necessarily true. You definitely only get 3 bet by trips or better, but a significant number of players will call this down with less than trips. That is my experience anyway. I think that your assessment applies to what a player such as yourself would do if you were the villain in this circumstance. Fortunately, not everyone plays that way.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

I went to check my account balance at Paradise this afternoon, and saw a couple of 2/4 tables with 35+% to the flop, so I decided to try to work off some more of my bonus still lingering from back when I had hair. The SB in this hand is somewhat loose-aggressive PF, but will passively chase post-flop. I don't have a very good read on UTG+1, unfortunately.

Preflop: chesspain is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, chesspain calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, chesspain calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, chesspain calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you should stop the action after the turn, as I am inclined to say I don't like this cuz I know you missed. That said, I still don't think I like the turn raise. What does he fold that you are behind, other than AJ? What calls that you are ahead of? QJ - 9J? Once he 3-bets, you clearly need to see the river, but now you are kinda stuck calling when you may very well be beat.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO you should stop the action after the turn, as I am inclined to say I don't like this cuz I know you missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since my river call may also be debateable, I wanted to just present the entire hand, with the hope that experienced posters could analyze the turn raise appropriately even after seeing the three-bet afterwards.

[ QUOTE ]
What calls that you are ahead of? QJ - 9J?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a PP or a lower flush draw?