Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 AM

Default LHE w/ Kill on UB

I'm fairly new to limit, need work on PF play. Anyone have experience with these "Kill" games? Starting to have success playing .25/.5 LHE on UB. The kill games look to be looser PF with bigger pots. Worth trying?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Re: LHE w/ Kill on UB

Kill games are something I've been playing with too. Here are some things that I've noticed of UB 1/2 Kill and some changes I would make from your regular strategy.
<ul type="square">[*]Tight players play tighter in kill pots. Loose players play looser.[*]The Kill will almost always call a raise. This is a mistake. You should play looser then you normally would against a raise when you are in the kill because you have to call less and there is more in the pot, but don't just call with any thing[*]Some players seem to think that having the half-kill is a good thing, and subsequently play every hand when they have it. This is a costly mistake. Having the Half Kill is a bad thing. If you will the pot with the half kill you must put in a BB in to the next pot. Therefore you should fold anything marginal when you have the half kill[*]Because many players misunderstand the effects of the half-kill. You should generally play LAG'er against people when they have the half-kill. Of course if you notice that the person is a good player you should not.[*]The swings will be bigger because running good or bad in the kill pots greatly effects your results[/list]
Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM

I'd like to hear other thoughts on this topic. So I can get a better feel for the strategy implications of the kill.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM

First... don't post when it's a kill pot. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Second... in a kill pot, there will usually be a lot of action between two or three players. Someone will try to steal the pot if they act before the kill and the kill will try to aggressively defend against it. Obviously, is is wonderful to have big cards in a kill pot as you will almost never get credit for having a legitimate hand.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some players seem to think that having the half-kill is a good thing, and subsequently play every hand when they have it. This is a costly mistake. Having the Half Kill is a bad thing. If you will the pot with the half kill you must put in a BB in to the next pot. Therefore you should fold anything marginal when you have the half kill

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a terminology disconnect here, half kill does not mean what I think you think it means. Half kill is generally the same as a kill, but half. (for example 4/8 with a kill goes to 8/16 during kill pots, 4/8 with a half kill goes to 6/12 during kill pots).

I'm assuming you mean the button thingie you get when you win a pot. I'm not sure I'd agree that it's always a terrible thing in every situation. For example if you're playing at a table with people that you feel you can outplay I would think you would want every pot to be a kill pot - you stand to make around double (probably more) on a kill pot than you would on a normal pot. That seems obvious. Now I agree that the blind makes it detrimental to some extent, but I think your expected position in the kill pot is HUGE. say you win a pot UTG+1, now the little button is on you UTG...now if you pick up a pot here the kill is on, you have to post a blind....but you had to post a blind anyways!! in other words, free kill. awesome. Any kill pot where you're the button is awesome, and I don't mind posting the blind as much in that case.

obviously, you want to win every hand you're dealt, leader is clearly talking about marginal situations (don't go crazy with QTo UTG just to get the kill, that's very very dumb and was probably leader's point). The converse is also true, don't fold KK just because you don't want to post the kill blind UTG, it's only a SB after all.

BTW that's very very cool that UB has kill pots. I haven't signed up there yet, but this knowledge might bump it up past some party skins on the whoring list...

added: I vaguely recall reading something in the 2+2 magazine (i think??) about kill games. might want to check into that.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a terminology disconnect here, half kill does not mean what I think you think it means. Half kill is generally the same as a kill, but half. (for example 4/8 with a kill goes to 8/16 during kill pots, 4/8 with a half kill goes to 6/12 during kill pots).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just with UB calls that button. "Kill button" would probably be a better way of putting it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you mean the button thingie you get when you win a pot. I'm not sure I'd agree that it's always a terrible thing in every situation. For example if you're playing at a table with people that you feel you can outplay I would think you would want every pot to be a kill pot - you stand to make around double (probably more) on a kill pot than you would on a normal pot. That seems obvious. Now I agree that the blind makes it detrimental to some extent, but I think your expected position in the kill pot is HUGE. say you win a pot UTG+1, now the little button is on you UTG...now if you pick up a pot here the kill is on, you have to post a blind....but you had to post a blind anyways!! in other words, free kill. awesome. Any kill pot where you're the button is awesome, and I don't mind posting the blind as much in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it having the kill button isn't as bad as I thought, but I still think it reduces you value on the hand. When you have to pot the kill, I still think the Kill hand is -EV except if you have to post it in like late position. It's like posting the BB. I agree you want as many kill pots as possible but I don't think you want to be posting the kill in those posts.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW that's very very cool that UB has kill pots. I haven't signed up there yet, but this knowledge might bump it up past some party skins on the whoring list...

[/ QUOTE ]

I use mini-view and just play two of those tables with four others from other sites.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First... don't post when it's a kill pot. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Why put in 1SB with a random hand pre-flop if you don't have to when you will probably need to call another 3SB to see the flop?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why put in 1SB with a random hand pre-flop if you don't have to when you will probably need to call another 3SB to see the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you where saying don't post the hand in the forum. mb