Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Default A Suggestion

OK, I am by no means a veteran around here, so take this for what it's worth.

It is becoming very apparent that too many hands are being posted here (see here and here just to name a few). These posters are quite right in that the forum is being flooded with hands for review. Each thread gets 1-2 replies, and gets bumped off the front page by a new thread. Nothing really gets accomplished. The wisdom of the veterans who are very knowledgeable and have lots to offer is completely wasted. They can't give out thoughtful and intelligent responses because they can't keep up. They probably don't want to try and keep up either, because they see their efforts going to waste.

Again, repeating the words of the above posts, we learn through meaningful discussion. If you post your hand, get two answers, no contradictions/discussions, what do you learn? Nothing. Then you go and post another one. Also, the problem with so many of the hands being posted is they are boring. I guarantee that any AA post made in the last week has at least 5 nearly identical threads to be found over the last couple of months. Did I miss a value bet here? Yes. Should I have folded this river? No. etc etc. What are you going to learn by posting this that you can't learn from doing a simple search.

So anyways, here is my suggestion. Each individual person needs to set a daily limit for posting. No person should ever post more than 2 hands in a day, one hand is preferable, and believe me, no one will complain if you don't post any. If you have 3 incredibly interesting hands, is it so important that it can't wait a day or two? Write down the HH number, and post it tomorrow. Review it a couple of times yourself, and maybe you can answer your own question.

I know a lot of posters here rarely post a hand, and it's a shame that when they do, it goes totally unnoticed. So to all of you who like to post your hands here for review, please, try to keep it to one per day. And for the love of God, if it has to be an AA or KK hand, just do a search first. Just type 'AA' or 'KK' into the search subject field, and look at the last week at the very least. Make sure your question hasn't already been answered.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: A Suggestion

[ QUOTE ]
we learn through meaningful discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

To add on this point: you can't be afraid that you are wrong. Part of learning about the game is though having your thought process picked apart by other posters. So when you are reading a post and think you have a contribution, give it! Yes you may be completely wrong, but how else are you going to know you are wrong if you never let other people challenge your thought process?

You should be replying to other posts more than you are posting new ones. It’s in the discussion and arguments about the reasons for taking an action that you really learn to understand why you need to do it. That same understanding won’t come from posting that last hand where your AA was beaten by a runner-runner 3 of a kind.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM

Good post, Scotty.

Here's another suggestion. There seem to be quite a few new members here (myself included of course) who just found the site in the last few months. Some of us have worked very hard and studied a lot of posts to get to know how things work around here. Others have clearly decided that no one else's time or effort is important, and that the world owes them a favor.

I, for one, will not be responding to further posts written by people who feel the need to waste time with insulting, childish behavior. I think you know who you are.

-Salty
Old 03-30-2005, 11:56 PM

I agree.

But you knew that.

[ QUOTE ]
Each individual person needs to set a daily limit for posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of posters in micros. If everyone posted 1 new hand per day, nobody would ever be able to keep up.

Here's an idea that another vet suggested (I don't remember who, so chime up if it was you). Set a new-thread:thread-reply ratio for yourself. Example, for every 8 threads you respond to, allow yourself 1 new post. You'll learn a lot more than you think you will, and this standard isn't as draconian as it seems. Do a search of my posts, and you will find that I almost never initiate a new thread. This isn't becasue I'm all that - I'm not. I'm still learning just like everyone else. But learning is faster in a cooperative environment, not in a crucible. Its better to understand the general concept behind a play instead of knowing just what the play is. Concepts are learned by replying. Plays are learned by posting.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:02 AM

Yea true, but all the people that don't post often shouldnt feel the need to 'meet the quota.' Nothing bad will happen if you don't meet your daily maximum post limit. They should just keep doing what they are doing. If everyone who was posting 3+ threads per day cut that down to 1, this place would function a lot better.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 AM

that took way too long to read.. i could have been posting more hands instead
Old 03-31-2005, 12:29 AM

While I am by no means a veteran of this fourm, I rarely post hands anymore. When I review my hands I often have good enough memory to recall certain debates on similar hands, so I know how i should have played them. When I do post hands I always post reads, and stats and that helps me to get replies which help me.
Beginners like to post hands and get a person with a high post count to say, yeah you played it good, he just caught two pair on you etc... But a person has to be secure enough in his poker ideas that he shouldn't need that kind of comforting.
I mean i'm going through a horrid downswing, and I will not be making a post about it, I just know what there is.

Lastly, when I come to the micro fourm i like to read EVERY thread on the current page before I even would consider posting my own hand, that's something i think everyone can do.

God i ramble alot
Old 03-31-2005, 12:57 AM

Let me give a piece of advice to people new to this board (like myself). Don't post a hand! Instead, find a hand that has recently been posted, one that doesn't have many replies. Suggest your line on that hand. Don't be shy about it. In a few minutes, veterans will descend onto the thread and correct the error of your ways. REPLY TO THESE CORRECTIONS IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE RIGHT. Make sure you understand why your line is (probably) sub-optimal.

This is far and away the best way to learn from these forums when you are new.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 AM

One of the things I learned early on is that I really didn't get much out of posting hands (no offense to all who tell newbies to post hands).

Why? Because I wasn't good at picking out the 'marginal' hands. All I was doing was finding hands that seemed marginal at the time were pretty straight forward. And I was posting them without reviewing them, and without reads, and without a clear question really.

And I went through a period of about a week where everytime I grabbed a hand, converted it, and went through the edit process figured it out for myself and aborted the post.

So then I started looking for the posts by the veterans, because there was usually a very good point to them.

So ever since I've been pretty much lurking, reading, popping an opinion in here or another, but usually having to resort to search in order to find my posts and any replies to them.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned in the past month or so is how situational poker is. Anything can be right given the correct circumstances.

I really don't like all the 'stop doing this' posts, but I really do agree with them, however contradictory that is.

My advice to a hand-poster:

1. Have a specific question, 'Should I bet this turn?', 'What was opponent X doing here?', 'Should I have folded this on the flop?'

2. Have a reason for doing what you did, and tell us. 'I thought that BB was over-defending a poor hand, so I pushed it harder.'

Anyway... don't do what I did, which was post hands with no reads and no situational information, that were poor examples of the questions I had concerning my game.

KO
Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Beginners like to post hands and get a person with a high post count to say, yeah you played it good, he just caught two pair on you etc... But a person has to be secure enough in his poker ideas that he shouldn't need that kind of comforting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very strongly agree with this... I think that's what I was looking for in my hands when I was posting... and it really didn't help my game, just my ego.

[ QUOTE ]
God i ramble alot

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I got you beat, going over and reading my last post... [shudder].

KO