Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Turning point hand - Stars 350K

I was sitting at an agro table, last night. Which is fine, I change my play a bit, let people bet into me even more than usual, it is ok. But here is the hand the left me with not enough chips when my QQ got called by AA (BTW this post is inspired by Che's link).

Seat 5 is a very agro player, and smart too. She's sitting on one of the big stacks on the table with about 28K. I'm making yet another comeback with slightly under the avg. at 14K. She is next to me on my left. Blinds 600/1200 and with Antes, a blind steal is worth a little over 2K. Action is folded to me in the SB. I have 75s. I like this hand as early as CO (earlier if I have more chips). Hoping I can start 3x BBing the blinds to steal now that I have a few chips, I do just that - make it 3600. She goes AI, just as I knew she would, and instead of being up 1600 chips, I'm down 3K. I like 75s. I don't mind being AI with 75s. But I can't call with 75s. I had one play IF I had the balls to make it, and I didn't. I can't help but think that this 4600 chip swing cost me the game.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Learn from my mistake.

CSC
Old 03-28-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Turning point hand - Stars 350K

[ QUOTE ]
I can't help but think that this 4600 chip swing cost me the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if she had folded, and the swing had gone the other way, you would have won? Or does cost me the game just refer to your spot in the tournament.

I'm not understanding why you posted this really. Is the point to not try to steal from the big stack, or not steal with 75s? Just seems very results-oriented to me.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if she had folded, and the swing had gone the other way, you would have won? Or does cost me the game just refer to your spot in the tournament.

I'm not understanding why you posted this really. Is the point to not try to steal from the big stack, or not steal with 75s? Just seems very results-oriented to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would have won the tourney if I had gone all in here.

I have been asked in the past to post more hands - specifically "on the edge" hands. I've posted a couple where I made a contreversial call, or a "not standard" play and it has worked out. I thought I'd post this one because I learned something from it, so you can too, AND I'll not have to hear people claim that I'm tooting my own horn. I messed up, played a hand poorly, but I've learned from it. Here is what I've learned.

CSC
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would have won the tourney if I had gone all in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be coy here, I'm just asking what you wish you would have done. Folded? Waited to steal with another hand?

I recall an MLG tournament report where he pushed I think with like 43s, thinking his cards would be live if called, so I'm always interested in the thought process on stuff like that.